• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

newbie: are their multi band ham rigs?

Survival Bill said:
I am just wondering if the ham rigs are multi band like from 2 to 80 or something inbetween as I am interested but if I have to get a rig for every band that would be kind of expensive to get into ham...

Yes, there are quite a few models that will do what you want - some very small in size too.

If you want a mobile sized all-band-all-mode, I would say have a look at the Yaesu ft-857D.
Or The ft 897D, Both Great rigs for the $$ spent!
HF-6-2-440 and AM/FM/SSB/Data, great all around radios.

Jeff

Survival Bill said:
thats great any you can recomend...

My personal favorite is the Yaesu FT-897. It will actually cover beyond 2m to 440. The radio itself isn't as small as an Icom 706, but it's not as large as a typical base unit either. What sets this rig apart from many others is the ability to put 2 rechargable batteries in the lower panel and not depend on AC current, or a Car battery for power. You can actually run off one battery, while the 2nd one is trickle charging it. Many hams buy a small solar panel so the panel charges the 2nd battery - pretty neat. For accessories, you can buy a bolt on antenna tuner (works great), and while not "light as air", it has a sturdy handle for lugging it about.

You can get lot's more info by perusing the FT-897 group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT897/

It's not the ONLY rig out there with the coverage you desire, I own one and just happen to like it.

I am leaning towards the Yaesu FT-817ND. It also has 2m-HF and can also run on batteries. Beautiful radio, descent price.

Hi Bill.Nice to see another Canadian here.I don't know where in Canada you are but check out this page Radio World They are in Toronto and are good to do business with.I have used them many times.I have the FT-857 and love it. :D

CDX126 said:
I am leaning towards the Yaesu FT-817ND. It also has 2m-HF and can also run on batteries. Beautiful radio, descent price.

The 817 is a nice small rig, and I'm sure you know by now it's QRP. Here's the E-Ham link:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1184

There is also a Yahoo Group devoted to this radio. I think they had issues with the finals, but I believe that is taken care of now. If you join that group you can ask 'em

o

All good suggestions. I like the 706 as well (I have 2). All of them are good radios. The only reason I chose the Icom is, it is one of the ones that will pass NTIA's standards for HF operations. I would've prolly chosen one of the other all-band rigs if weren't for that. :)

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.