• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie Here! Hello! Need some ADVICE...

H

Happy Hamer

Welcome to the forum enjoy and askk all the questions you want there is usually someone here to help

I would get a 6 or 7 foot firestik they are easy to tune and you can "grow" into them

www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

offroadlogo2.gif
</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=happyhamer>Happy Hamer</A> at: 12/25/04 8:53 pm

If you're after cheap but works pretty good, the Firestik is a good bet. Even a 5' one works pretty good. Also the Lil Wil' mag mount is cheap if you want to be able to put it up and down easy.

</p>

I think I would go with the Lil' Wil over the other antenna. Also, you need an SWR meter, but that other link you provided is the wrong device. A cheap SWR meter cost around $20. If you need help using it to tune the antenna, let us know....Firestik's website also has a detailed, step-by-step guide to tuning the antenna.

</p>

Just a quick note, if he's using a 510XL, the noise canceling mic won't work well. The reason for this is because the 510's want an eletret condenser mic.

Click Here To Go To FG Best Communications

lookearth452034.gif

A word to the wise is not necessary; it’s the stupid ones that need the advice. - Anonymous</p>

Hello guys

So i finally went out and bought myself a new Uniden Pro510XL. I know it's pretty cheap and not that good but this is my first CB radio and I wanted to start off slowly and learn more about this stuff before i invest in something more expensive. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a equally cheap antenna. What do you guys recommend for something just to start with, good range, good "swr", etc.?

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=asotn9876>asotn9876</A> at: 12/25/04 7:51 pm

If 1 has a higher SWR than 40, that means the antenna is too short and needs to be lengthened. Before you start, the antenna should be located wherever it's final resting place is going to be. The length of the coax isn't real important, so just ignore that. The location of the radio doesn't matter. For information on how to use the SWR meter, check out this page on Firestik's website. It's really easy to follow along: www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm Don't take everything Firestik's other sections say for gospel, but this section on tuning an antenna is real good. Let us know if you have any questions after reading that...

</p>

Yeah dont go cheap on your antenna. My antenna was $85 and it also had to be shipped!

Cobra 29 LTD classic tuned

I Max 99

& Snowcap Amp built by Radio Doctor!

Cobra 29

Cherokee Niterider 150

Pro Scanner 2030

Realistic Navaho 458

snowcap_new_2.jpg
</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.