• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie needs advice on the proper CB

deadgoon42

Nov 28, 2006
Hello all. I'd like to get your advice on which CB radio would be right for me. I know almost nothing about CB radios.

I do a lot of traveling and take a long road trip about once a month on average. My main uses for the CB would be road conditions, weather conditions, directions, emergency assistance, and maybe a little companionship on some of the long stretches.

I have a small car (Hyundai Elantra, great car too), so a smaller unit would probably be best. I'd also like some advice on the proper antenna for said usage and any other accessories I might need. I live in Austin, TX so any advice on where to buy would be great as well.

Also, I've heard that a CB should be "tuned" before usage. Is this true and is it really necessary for a novice such as myself?

Well....

Let me Start...
by Welcoming you to this forum..

Many people here who know quite a bit about
CB , Free banding , Ham radio ..

We have a good bunch of people..

Now about your first radio..
there are so many ways to go for a first starter radio..

Antenna will be most importent...
I will suggest the Wilson 1000 Mag Mount
(wilson 5000 if you get a large amp..starting out i would say no amp) ..

sounds like you may not need SSB (seems your need is using 40 channels with AM)

here are a couple of CB's you may want to consider

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/browse&category_id=ef22bac63440ba5b896ded1750ed67cb&id=1

the one that likly does what you asked for best is the
Cobra 29 WX NW ST

i might suggest a CB wit SSB for slightly better range
but then these radios typiclly do not have weather channels

but there are a few like Texas Ranger TR-696F
but is likly way to bi for what you want

i started off using the cobra 148 gtl
great AM/SSB radio but no weather

then there are those radios that are a bit more then a typical CB with greater power as well as better audio

for this type of radio i will suggest ranger 2970DX
but may be more then you are looking for...

in looking closer..

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3101

midland has what you may need
79-290

you asked if you should get it peaked
i would be carefull in that..
simply because many do not know how to do so properly
no need to kill the finals in the radio from a ignorate tech

i would say use radio stock at first
then if you wanted more range
get a small amp/linear matched to the radio you get

this midland is small and should be a decent performer with a good antenna like the wilson 1000 mag mount or roof mount or even lip mount (depends how you want to mount it)

perhaps adding a good power mike to it
like a road devel or as i like
(not sure if can still be found astitic M6 with tone)

that should get you started..
others may suggest other radios

any questions...just fire away
again..

Welcome to the forum

You will like the Uniden PRO 510 or 520 for your small car. I have a small car but have a Cobra 150 GTL but I have been a radio nut for 30 years. I would start off with the little PRO 510, got one in the wifes car and it sounds great. The Wilson 1000 is the best mobile antenna I have used but it is LONG ! What ever antenna you get it needs to be mounted on the roof. Do a search for Clays radio shop. I am located off hwy 183 between Lockhart and Austin my "handel" is freightdog.

Uniden is having a Holiday sale at this time , all free shipping on all of there radios guys , you can get a PC-78 Elight for 90.00 with free shipping
PC-68LTW 69.00 free shipping
PC-78XL 79.00 free shipping
PC-78LTW 89.00 free shipping
PC-68XL 49.00 free shipping (this is a steal !!)
PC-68 Elite 80.00 free shipping
PRO-510 XL 35.00 free shipping (I don't think anyone on the planet can beat those prices !! ) Welcome DG-42

Uniden

The uniden 510 with a wilson 1000 would be a great starter setup.

and if you upgrade in the future keep it as a back up radio or for a second vehicle

remember to put your money into a quality antenna first.

wilson 1000 mag is the way to go

you will not have to upgrade the antenna till you get some big wattage

I concur on the Wilson 1000 or 5000. Radio...whatever you floats your boat....but don't cut into the antenna budget.

I'm glad to see some agreement on the antenna. I notice that the Wilson 1000 Mag comes with a 62" whip or a 39" whip. Which one is better? Do I need to worry about it coming off my roof at 75mph highway speed?

Also, what about the Cobra 18 WX ST II Mobile CB? It has a front firing speaker and looks like it would fit in my dash. Anyone have an opinion on this unit?

if it's about fitting in your dash and the front firing speaker , the 18 will do fine , even though you would have a much better deal through Uniden as far as perfromance,quality and cost goes , (they do have exstention speakers if need be.) and thumbs up on the Wilson antenna's , if you don't plan on Indy speeds in your Hyundai ? You would be just fine with one of those.

What about the Uniden 68 LTW? It has weather channels which would be nice. Also, does the radio need to be tuned up? I see that several people have mentioned that in other threads and I noticed it's offered as a service at most online shops.

The 68 is a good radio and a better choice than the cobra you were looking at.

Yes, get it tuned up and you will have a great radio and antenna combination and will not have wasted money having to upgrade in six months as all of us others probably have done before the internet. LOL

If space is a problem and you dont need weather I would consider that little Uniden 510. Great little radios.

But the 68 is an excellent choice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.