• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie questions regarding best frequency usage

charlie_horse

Feb 14, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm going to be taking my technician and maybe my general test as soon as I can get away from work for a few hours during an exam session.

I'm wondering about 2 things:

What is the best frequency/wavelength for talking long distance MOBILE without repeater use?

I live in NC and my dad lives in Michigan. He's in an apartment so a large antenna isn't an option. He owns webtv, not a real computer, so echolink and other internet based relays aren't a possibility... Is there any way for us to talk?

Thanks!

yep

your going to have to use HF there is apartment antennas for that so he should be set but you will need a general or extra class licence to do that i hope this helps a bit? well 73 - Chong KD8EPC

Re: yep

Chong said:
your going to have to use HF there is apartment antennas for that so he should be set but you will need a general or extra class licence to do that i hope this helps a bit? well 73 - Chong KD8EPC

Yes, it does. I could have general pretty quickly if I put my mind to it (a fair amount of electronics background).. it's not something he would pursue though. Technician he would do, general would be too much work for him.

Thanks!

But wouldn't this require using many repeaters in series/linked? We are almost 700 miles apart.... or am I missing something?

You're not missing a thing.

You could see if one of his local repeaters has echolink or IRLP.
Then you could use his repeaters.

74IN said:
But wouldn't this require using many repeaters in series/linked? We are almost 700 miles apart.... or am I missing something?

You're not missing a thing.

You could see if one of his local repeaters has echolink or IRLP.
Then you could use his repeaters.

Oooohhhh, a repeater hooked ot echolink/irlp. I didn't know they did that. Awesome. Thanks!

Now for the second question.. longest range mobile without repeaters.

From a 'tech' to general I think I'd take a good look at the 2 meter repeater thingy. Now, if you can talk him into getting his general too, you might try 20 meters, that might be your best bet. A 20 meter antenna indoors wouldn't be that big'a deal to rig up.
- 'Doc

If you're thinking of using ham radio for communicating reliably over a 700 mile path, 24/7, without repeaters (meaning HF), you're probably going to be disappointed. Even at a sunspot peak, propagation is different at different times on different bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.