• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie set up

vikingjunior

Dec 5, 2006
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I've done a lot of reading and it's a wonderful sight.

Nothing special but it's a start..

cb3.jpg

cb2.jpg

cb.jpg

those Uniden's are decent little radios , But that Kenwood is looking real sweet !! As Bigred said ........Welcome to the Forum.

linearone said:
where in NY? you know poughkeepsie?

I know Poughkeepsie a little, am actually in NYC but moving to Arizona after the holidays. I always wanted a CB and this gave me a excuse to get one. I must of looked at 50 different radio. I wish I had room for a bigger radio like one of the Uniden 78 with the backlight. Thing is though living in NYC your really can't have anything to shiny sitting in your car. So for now I'll live with the Pro 520. I think once I get to Arizona I'll upgrade to one of those nice backlight Uniden's.

Welcome to the forum
we have many good people on here

ah another NYer
i have been considering moving to Az myself
where in Az you going

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
Welcome to the forum
we have many good people on here

ah another NYer
i have been considering moving to Az myself
where in Az you going

Scottsdale AZ. I've been there a couple of times besides the heat it's a nice state. I whole lot nicer then the city, it's just to crowded here.

I remember being there in the early 90's and AZ was a ghost town. Went back again in 02 and what a difference. Ideally I would like to live in flagstaff where it's not so hot but it's very expensive there.

So listen am starting to have second thoughts on my radio install. The pro 520 I have has been peaked and tuned but I also have a Pro 538 which is stock but I like better because of the front firing speaker, weather and it fits in the din spot better.

I've asked a couple of people and they say that the 538 isn't as good as the 520. They say the 538 can't be tuned but do I really need it tuned ?

I would just go with a nice big radio but it would kill me to see some little punk break my window for it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

The 520 is a nice radio. I suggest getting an external speaker and aiming it at you, so you can hear better. Then the only "advantage" to the 538 is weather, which I am not a big fan of. That 520 will do you just fine until you get the SSB itch, then it is time for a grant. More importantly is your antenna and coax. What do you have now and what limitations do you have? That will make the biggest difference.

Thanks

I'm going kinda crazy with picking the right CB here. I pulled out the 520 and put in the 538 but I don't like that one either. The 520 knobs were to cramped, how about the Cobra 18 with weather can that radio be tweaked a little bit?

Problem am having is with dimensions and not wanting a external speaker. It needs to be 7" wide no more then 7" deep and 2 " in height. Preferably in black.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.