1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Nmo antenna on a toolbox

Discussion in 'Scanning & Shortwave Listening' started by bigcountry78, Aug 29, 2018.

1. bigcountry78

bigcountry78 Member

I was going to mount a cb antenna on my toolbox, but I’ve decided to just use a scanner instead. My question is, how critical is the ground plane for a scanner antenna? I have a steel gull wing toolbox, so I have a nice square steel plate in the middle. My plan is to mount a Larsen Tri band antenna on an nmo mount in the center of the box. Will this work satisfactory? I know the roof is the ideal place, and I may end up doing a roof mount. But the toolbox mount would give me better clearance for tree limbs and the like.

#1 bigcountry78, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

It will work

3. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

BC78: It should work fine...If the toolbox is grounded to bed. Some of those boxes use rubber gaskets between bed and box to keep from beating up the bed-rail or the bed has a liner sprayed or installed...which makes a great insulator. Even if it does not, the box clamps just hold toolbox to the bed-rail lip and of course those are painted...so no good ground. I ran a ground strap from toolbox to bed and the frame of the toolbox to solve this. Then all worked well.
    All the Best
    Gary

4. bigcountry78

bigcountry78 Member

Is all that bonding necessary for a receive only antenna? I know it is for one that transmits, but is swr all that critical just to receive signals?

5. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

No not really, it can help but not needed

6. Rwb

Rwb Well-Known Member

Helps reduce static n white noise

bigcountry78 likes this.