1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

nmo ???

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by hotrod, Aug 22, 2020.

1. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

ive had 3/8x24 and so239 type anttenas ..but never had the nmo type mount ..until recently ive only seen the nmo type on ham antennas. and the antenna im looking at is called a browning BR-140-B base loaded antenna. i seen it online at bobscb.com. any info will be appreciated

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

NMO used to be called the Motorola mount (the M in NMO). Its actually a very sturdy mount and is mostly associated with VHF/UHF antennas.

3. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Larsen NMO27 will be better quality. Their mount also.

Very best NMO mount will be BREEDLOVE.

binrat likes this.
  4. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

NMO can work great if set up correctly BUT many NMO antennas have low power handling (100-200W) so if you plan on running big watts not recommended.

I ran a NMO antenna on a front fender with a KL203 years ago and could talk 40 miles local and DX no problem. I think that NMO antenna I had was rated for 300 watts but many of the cheap ones were only rated for 150w.

5. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I agree 1000%

binrat likes this.
  6. Turbo T

Turbo T Certified CB Rambo

NMO mounts are like what you see on police cars. I recommend them.

7. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

The NMO-27 is a horrible antenna. Piecing a Larsen together is a better option.

8. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Not to be argumentative, you’re the first guy I’ve seen dislike it

What about the Laird equivalent.

The 49-50” NMO “quality” 27-MHz antennas.

9. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

Never owned a Laird, except for VHF. I've ran the 27. It's finicky and has barely enough bandwidth for CB.

Slowmover likes this.
  10. secret squirrel

secret squirrel Lustrous Potentate

NMO mounts are very reliable in emergency medical services when we trade off vehicles the radio equipment is striped off and repurposed. Some of the antenna may have been on multiple vehicles. I just noticed yesterday at the base, our brand new ambulances has order generation Motorola VHF antennas. The antenna are 20 years old and function fine.