• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No-Code Techs have good company

How does knowing code make you a Better ham in the year 2006?

It gives you another mode to operate, it is universal "language" that would make it easier to communicate with others all over the world, it is an accomplishment to learn something new, regardless of it's perceived usefulness, and if you find it fun to use, then it adds to your enjoyment of the hobby.

These are a few reasons it might make you a better ham operator, not a better person or a superior being, but if it adds enjoyment to your hobby, then you can be a better ham for it.

I'm don't support keeping code as a "testing" requirement, but I think we get carried away sometimes and make it sound like code is an evil thing.

My personal opinion only....
we could do a lot more to heal the split in the radio hobby if we didn't focus on the "usefulness" of morse code. Look at it as a part of the history of ham radio, another mode of operation in your arsenal, and ignore any jerk who is so stuck in the mud that he wouldn't talk to a fellow amateur operator because that person doesn't know morse code :roll:

Here's something to think about...
The FCC said the various petitions (regarding the morse code requirement) had attracted 6200 comments from the amateur community
That is roughly 1% of the amateur community.
I would think if this were such an important issue as some claim, more people would have offered comments.

Keep in mind that our whole hobby is based on old technology.
Don't just point the finger at morse code and say it is outdated ;)

CDX8412 On a personal note I must agree with you on the point you make. But I still do not see how knowing code makes you a better anything except a Morse Code operator. It's still just another Mode. And as such should not be the reason you can not talk on HF. Just a opinion and a humble one at that.

todt061458 said:
When talking about Code or no code answer this question How does knowing code make you a Better ham in the year 2006?
What makes Code special? why is it better or more special than any other operating mode?

You're completely missing the point. Here's my point:

"I don't want to learn the code (or can't, etc). So I think that I shouldn't be forced to take a test that I don't want to, and that everyone else should change their rules so that I can get my license."

I think that's pretty selfish, especially when I hear hams on the air say "Did they drop the code test yet? I'm waiting for them to drop it before I get my Extra."

For pete's sake...it's 5 WPM.

I don't like math. Do you think I could get all the questions thrown out that relate to mathematical formulas? I mean, it's only fair...you don't like CW, you get that part of the test thrown out. Why can't I take the test the way I like it?

Ok I agree with you the thought of dumbing down a test because it's too hard is wrong. I also agree that taking a 5wpm code test is not a hard thing to do if you really want it bad enough.
But I also live in the real world Ham radio is slowly loosing it's elite membership and not gaining many back to replace the lost and silent leys.
I did not advocate the dumbing the test down. The people coming out of today's schools are lucky if they can count change at the food store or the 7-11 and this is the type of person they are writing the new dumbed down test for and also the buy a radio at the radio store plug it in hook up your antenna( if they even know to do that) Kind of ham.
Also as cell phones get all kinds of gadgets like Satellite radio and tv built in.The visual generation will keep ignoring ham radio. So I guess as the educators keep dumbing down america. The ham radio tests will keep up with the times by becoming simpler until the only thing you will have to do is send in a check or a credit card number to get your ticket. jmho.
Do I understand your point? I hope so. 73

I can see it not being a requirement. When it became a requirement there was military need for it . It was the technology of the day for cases of personal or national emergency. Ships could not leave the harbor until a Telegrapher was aboard. But today technology has sky-rocketed so now communications are done digital with satelite. No longer is a telegrapher needed aboard ship. Our coasts no longer monitor morse code as it once did. And the military no longer requires it. It was part of an international treaty at the time it was first required. Now that treaty no longer requires it. Technology in communications has advanced since then and the need we once depended on Code for has changed with technology. Is it a viable mode ? Sure, but not as important as it once was when needed by all countries in time of emergency. Now we tend to ignore the historical reason for its requirement and some have made it a sacred cow or a tool to keep unwanted operators out. It is used to judge a persons character or worth by how he views the issue of code requirement.Technologies advance, life goes on. Why make an enemy of someone you may otherwise be great friends with if it wasn't for this issue ? You can view its need historically or emotionally. To draw a line in the sand and demand people see it yours or my way or we are enemies is not being very level headed. Both sides can enjoy its use without making it a tool of warfare between opinions and otherwise friends.

cyclops1970 said:
i don't like math. Do you think I could get all the questions thrown out that relate to mathematical formulas? I mean, it's only fair...you don't like CW, you get that part of the test thrown out. Why can't I take the test the way I like it?

i dont see the big debate to why its required for testing. WHEN they drop the code requirment all it means is that you dont have to learn it for hf privelages. band plans wont change any, there will still be just as many frequecys aloted to cw as before there will still be just as many cw ops as now. if someone wants to learn morse code than it should be up to them. people act like it will be the end of ham radio when code is dropped, no its being droped as a testing requirment only.

math and cw are completly different things. cw is just another mode of transmission. i didnt have to show that i can properly use slow scan tv. i did not have to prove that i can set the gap on a set of points to get my drivers licence. outdated code is the same thing.

todt061458 said:
The ham radio tests will keep up with the times by becoming simpler until the only thing you will have to do is send in a check or a credit card number to get your ticket.

I don't think it will go that far, but I agree. The only thing to remember is that the ARRL and W5YI has to get their cut of the test materials trade and the VE fees off of new hams. So I think there will always be tests to study for. It's just they will be so simple and pointless, my dog could pass them.

Carl said:
math and cw are completly different things.

Not really from a testing perspective. In either case, you are wanting an individual to demonstrate knowledge or skill of a particular area before issuing a license. A CW test demonstrates CW skill. A mathematical question on a test demonstrates the ability to calculate the electrical properties of, say, an LC circuit. A question about allowed frequencies for a particular class of license demonstrates knowlege of the band plan--so on and so forth.

Now if we are allowed to pick and choose what we are questioned on and get tests that only test on on what we "like"...where will it end?

Just like where todt says. Send your check or M.O. to the FCC or ARRL and Presto! you get a license.

I could personally care less about whether or not CW is worthy of being included in testing. I'm more concerned that the fundamental composition of testing is being tinkered with. If something can be removed from testing, then EVERYTHING can be removed from testing, and I don't believe that is a good thing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.