• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No Modulation!!!!!!!

Runner

Feb 11, 2008
New Brunswick,Canada
I just picked up a Radio Shack TRC485 on ebay.Claims that it works fine.Hooked it all up and I have no modulation!It recieves fine.It wont move the needle on my SWR meter but you can key the mic and be picked up by another radio without the modulation (the other radio pics up the key).Make sense?Anyone got any ideas?

prob the mic's audio lead wire has come loose on the connector. pretty common problem once you have messed with radios for a while.

you say you can hear the radio key on another radio.
that means it is keying, but very weakly.
no modulation?
might not be enough power for it if the final is blown, or really weak.

you might see a slight movement on the SWR meter's needle if you set it to the CAL position, turn the knob all the way to the right, and key the radio.

definitely try another mic, and try wiggling the mic cord and connector around while talking into the mic, looking for movement on your SWR meter. (still set to CAL, unless it also reads watts)

im gonna guess that its a blown final transistor, but since this is such a new looking radio (never played with one), im also guessing that its part, if not all SMT, which means unless you have the right tools, and knowhow, you really cant fix it yourself like with the old radios.
might just have to send it to a tech.
good luck,
LC

I had this problem earlier today when I bought a couple radios at a garage sale yesterday. I smack the top several times and it stated to TX, it was a loose wire inside the radio connected to the mic plug.

I brought the mic to the local radio repair place.They checked the mic and it works ok.So I left the hole unit to get checked out.Sucks!I paid what I feel like top dollar for a used radio that was suppose to work.Then have to piss around.I guess I'll know better next time.I'll post whats wrong when I found out.

Cheers

So I got the radio back today.It seems that the rectifier and regulator were both burnt!Sucks to me I guess.For what I have invested in this radio I could have bought a new Galaxie!Guess I won't buy used electronics on ebay anymore!!

rectifier?

isnt this a mobile radio?

someone clue me in if im missing something here.

normally, a rectifier isnt found in a mobile, only in the power supply of a base station.
hmmm......
LC

The TRC-485 is a AM/SSB mobile, very pricey when it was new.
357j6gw.jpg

http://www.rigpix.com/cbfreeband/radioshack_trc485.htm

he got the radio fixed, although in my opinion, that radio isnt worth fixing.

i think the guys at the shop may have taken him on a little ride.
i wonder how much that repair bill was to replace a regulator and a "rectifier"?
still having trouble with that one, rectifier, what the heck would one be used for in a mobile?

did they mean rectifier diode? as in reverse polarity diode or something?

who knows, most likely its all SMT which is sure to bring a repair bill up a bit.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio