• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No more decent scanner antennas.

After looking at antenna prices on Aamzon, at the last few hamfests I've been watching for a decent deal on a scanner antenna. So far I haven't found anything. My radio room is in the basement so a scanner antenna in the attic would be a tremendous improvement.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
After looking at antenna prices on Aamzon, at the last few hamfests I've been watching for a decent deal on a scanner antenna. So far I haven't found anything. My radio room is in the basement so a scanner antenna in the attic would be a tremendous improvement.
just an insulated wire on bnc connector ran up to attic then bare wire ran around walls on insulators would help just dont make it a loop ,end it before you get back to the start

get yourself one of these:

83-1R.jpg

now get some 16ga. solid copper wire (anything will work but smaller can be too flimsy to hold itself up.)
get some small bolts, washers, and nuts that will fit in the four holes on the connector.

now cut five pieces of wire to 1/4 wavelength at the center of the frequency range you want to use, making sure to put small loops in all five pieces of wire.

now bolt the four pieces to the base, and solder one to the center pin sticking straight up.
bend the radials at 45* and hang the antenna by the loop at the top.
LC

A homebrew scanner antenna might end up being the route that I go.

The attic is already a bit of an antenna farm with several receive antennas -
a 66 foot loop, a fan dipole and FM broadcast band omni.

Thanks Rob
I had looked at that a few weeks ago. A quick and dirty wire version of that will let me test how well an attic antenna can receive.

I did make it to a hamfest this weekend and a guy actually had a scanner discone antenna for sale. But his asking price was pretty close to retail and he wouldn't budge on the price.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.