• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No Receive Audio - General Lee

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Friend has a Lee that just quit receiving. Does get signals on the meter. Figure probably that the receive audio amp transistor has laid down.

He has another working Lee, I was going to follow the trace millivolt signals back from the speaker jack to the components it goes to on the circuit board then repeat the procedure on the bad one and see what I might can find.

This is just a guess. Maybe I'll will be able to find something. Has anyone here experienced this problem or can point out which component might be a likely failure? Point out the receiver (speaker) audio amplifier transistor?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Friend has a Lee that just quit receiving. Does get signals on the meter. Figure probably that the receive audio amp transistor has laid down.

He has another working Lee, I was going to follow the trace millivolt signals back from the speaker jack to the components it goes to on the circuit board then repeat the procedure on the bad one and see what I might can find.

This is just a guess. Maybe I'll will be able to find something. Has anyone here experienced this problem or can point out which component might be a likely failure? Point out the receiver (speaker) audio amplifier transistor?

Thanks for any help!

most likely failure point is audio ic,large multipin chip heatsinked to chassis,not familiar with that radio as they never appeared over here but most probably an ept3600 series chassis and audio ic is most likely a toshiba ta7222ap.very common failure in radios used in noisy vehicles,ie trucks etc or with people who are partially deaf as its usually caused by running them at excessive volume levels.lke most parts in cb's the audio ic's are borderline rated and running them at full whack will eventually overheat them.

Just to be sure, I'd hook up an external speaker as a preliminary check before popping the hood.

Just to be sure, I'd hook up an external speaker as a preliminary check before popping the hood.

Yep, been done by the owner. Used as mobile with an external speaker to begin with. Also checked to make sure squelch not accidentally turned up.

Thanks

because you said it was in a mobile with an external speaker connected, i would start by checking the external speaker jack.

if it has gotten wiggled loose from the board, it could cause this symptom.

re-heat the solder joints and then make sure the contacts on the jack are doing what they are supposed to do.
LC

Prob. was simple

One of the hated local techs that no locals use anymore originally set the radio up when new and added relay talkback. He glued the relay down with some kind of cheap glue that didn't last. Also hooked the thing up with some incredibly small wires. Must be 30 gauge or something. The friend lives on a bumpy dirt road and the relay getting jostled around broke not 1 but 2 of the tiny wires off the relay. Reconnected the wires and the speaker sound is back!

Another $25 tech fee in the ol' Weasel's pocket

Prob. was simple

One of the hated local techs that no locals use anymore originally set the radio up when new and added relay talkback. He glued the relay down with some kind of cheap glue that didn't last. Also hooked the thing up with some incredibly small wires. Must be 30 gauge or something. The friend lives on a bumpy dirt road and the relay getting jostled around broke not 1 but 2 of the tiny wires off the relay. Reconnected the wires and the speaker sound is back!

Another $25 tech fee in the ol' Weasel's pocket

at least you've learned why no-one uses him anymore,;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.