• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No Recieve or Transmit ......Not good

kd-5-bgt

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 10, 2007
Joplin Missouri area
I have an Icom IC 736 that I got about two years ago,built in power supply and tuner from factory,both tuner and power supply are hard wired into radio,no plug and play,I have had the case off of radio to conferm this a while back while I was taking the time to blow out any dust that might have built up with a can of compressed air that is usually used for blowing out computers.

The other day I was scanning the bands and hit the number pad to move from 80 to 17 meters,upon doing this the recieve went to zero....nothing,just as if teh coax was pulled from radio and when mic is keyed no transmit at all...

Not good to say the least.I went through each band to see if it might have just been that one band I changed to...but no luck...all bands from 160 to 6 meters are dead as mentioned above,all modes.....All badn switch buttons work as they should,hit button and the proper band will show on display,as well as any other funtions that are to be displayed ...the only light that does not show up is the TX light when the mic is keyed...speak intop mic and nothing shows on output,thinking the light could have burned out

I thought OK...time to start checking to see if it is something like a jumper going from radio to external meter or antenna switch.so I pulled all jumpers,antenna switch,power meter ( Siltronix FS-600A)...pulled all items mentioned and went direct from antenna coax to radio antenna jack 1..still no change as mentioned above no change.. changed to antenna jack 2 ...no change...

At each stage of this testing I hit every button on radio,VFO/Memory...VFO A and B ..tuner off and on...mode buttons... notch filters...double checked presets for everything on front and back...plugged in external speaker,unplugged external speaker...Memory/vfo button in both settings...vfo A and B ....

All jumpers that I have all checked good with a volt ohm meter,as did the outboard antenna switch,feed line (RG8X ) checked good,as did the antenna)..ground system checked good.....both fans in radio were working as they should at the time

As best as I can tell I have pretty well checked off everything other than cracking the case of the radio ( this is NOT what I was wanting to find )....

I did read somewhere that a microprocesser reset might be needed...I have the book for the radio and I have yet to find out how to do this,but I have not given up on this yet and will do this when I find out exactaly how to go about it...just run out or time today. I do know there is a battery that is for the memory ....I am wondering if that might could be it ( I know the chances are slim,but it is a thought)

Now I did transmit a couple of times without the tuner being turned on and did have a fairly high swr ( 3 to 1 or so from what I can remember) but as soon as I realized this I unkeyed and hit teh tuner and went back to transmitting( transmit time without tuner active was under 5 seconds at full power (about 100 watts) ....

What would be the chances that I blew a TX final and would that effect teh receive ( I personally do not think that a blown final would effect teh recieve but anything is possable and I am not overlooking this )...

Keep in mind that I am not very good with eletronics or related componets,simple things that I can identify I have no trouble checking but most stuff is beyond my feeble mind

I do have the owners manual for radio to look over and will be digging deeper into it tomorrow for trouble shooting and hoping to locate the processer reset

Anyone have any thoughts as to what it could be or where I might start looking at by chance?

This has been a damn fine radio,and my first HF rig and I just hate the thought it might have dropped into a coma that it will not recover from...

The radio was made from 1994 to 1996 and ranged from 1600 to 2400 $ new depending on options

I am not beyond sending it to a good repair shop but that will have to wait till tax time before I can do so

I have spent alot of time here on this forum and have come to discover that if any forum group were able to get me pointed in the right direction this is teh forum

Thanks for anything that you can come up with

Chris

What I found online, was that the power supply may be faulty. Find out on the schematic where the output to the power supply is, and check it for ~13.8v.

You might have connectors that are intermittent.
Or a cold solder joint.

These are all guesses, but they seem like the first things to check anyway . . .

I know on the 751 if the battery that keeps the RAM backed up goes down it will lose the programming and the radio will go dead.
I would place a call to ICOM. And ask for someone in Tech Support....tell them the problem and ask what they recommend.
If I remember right once it loses the backup it will need to be reprogramed anyway.
I think there is also a Yahoo user group for the ICOM RADIOS....if someone has a Link?
Nice radio....and very much worth saving.
Jeff

The radio does power up,all lights and funtion buttons all show they work as intended,tuner button will show if tuner is inline or bypassed,number pad will change bands as it is supposed to,mode buttons and so forth....

Just no recieve or transmit

I done a cpu reset and that didnt change anything except it cleared the frequencies in memory...doing the reset didnt bother me since I dont use the memory system in it anyway

Thanks for the links guys,I am going to make a yahoo account and give the yahoo group a look at as well

I have run across quite a few guys that use the 736 and everyone that I have run across really likes it and I do get good reports from folks on the quality ....I am not giving up on this radio yet

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.