• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

noise

C

Chiphauler

What can I do about noise that I transmit? I can get past hearing noise on my end but today I got to listen to my setup from another radio and there is a lot of noise coming in on the other end as well....You can hear the engine and some popping and stuff....Over all I think its not near as clear as it should be....I have tried different mics but I believe the RK 56 does the best but it still has way too much noise being transmitted....Just want it to stand out as really loud and clear....Im half way there....Any suggestions please.....

The first thing that comes to mind is to turn the mic-gain down. It's also probably the least likely to do a huge amount of good, some yes, but not 'huge', if that makes sense.
The next thing that comes to mind is a good noise-canceling mic, and knowing how to use it properly. Not that you don't know, just that sometimes people don't.
Then there's always the old sound insulation of the place where the microphone is used. If you don't like the sound of wind, motors, chug-holes, squeaks, rattles and pops, get rid of them. Sometimes just seeing out the windshield through all that insulation is kind'a hard to do, but... oh well.
A 'mix' of at least a few of the above is what people usually do. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes not. Good luck.
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I've gotta agree with the Doc here, but you may want to go over your coax one good time to check for any wear or cracks in it. It may also be best to go ahead and replace it out-right with some heavy gauge wire with a higher shield percentage. It'll cost you more more, but it's well worth it. I would almost bet your coax has a problem in it somewhere.

I am running a brand new General Lee with a tune-up and a DaveMade 2x4....Everything brand new (cables and everything) Belden coax on everything...New Predator and all....SWRs 1.1 across the board.....Maybe I need to try a heavier power wire to the radio....Not very big for a 60 watt radio...I got it run to a post on the fire wall on my big truck that comes directly from the batteries but its run right by the main fuse (breaker ) box on the Int. Eagle Semi.....Maybe picking up noise that way? Lot of engine noise and blower fan and just plain old popping and sizzle....Got the 4 guage cable that powers the amp ran right by the fuse box also..Can it get in that way?....And another thought is some of my buddies think it sounds good the way it is and that im over reacting and that I am trying too hard and expect too much....And I already have mic gain way back ( 10 - 11 o'clock ) or it will over modulate pretty bad....New RK 56 mic.....It probably sounds bout as good as anything but I want it better :LOL:

Noise can also come from daisy chained grounds, or be coupled from other high current draws.

I would make all of the grounds connect to a single point and also add a bulk capacitor or two across the power lines right at the load end.

You may have to re-route your wiring if noise is being coupled into the power lines and filtering doesn't work.

The mic gain may be back further than "normal", but if it's still over modulating then it ain't back far enough. What's "normal" and what's 'right' are seldom the same thing.
Engine and blower noises. Not going to get into the engine noise thingy, I'm just not that familiar with the newer ones. But, for things like blower, or other electrical motor noises, suppression at the source is always a good idea. More suppression at the radio 'end' is also not a bad idea.
Just because a power cable goes near the fuse block isn't necessarily a 'bad' thing. It can be, but not always. Re-routing might be an option. Usually means a lot of work for very little gain, but who knows.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

PS - Leave your tractor at my house for a month. Lay a certified blank check on the seat. I will remove all electrical noise, guarantied till the check clears the bank! Allow approximately a two week 'lead' time (need to renew my passport and schedule the vacation trip).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.