• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noisy radio, is this normal?

Red 5

Feb 28, 2015
My new (eBay purchased) president Washington seems noisy. Not as much so on AM, but SSB with or without NB/ANL it's loud. It has the Expo 100 kit, don't know if that affects anything. Also doesn't matter if it's day or night, amplifier / power supply on or off, location of radio, or proximity to other electronic devices... None have any effect. Thanks in advance

All frequencies all the time? Does it happen with other radios? Do you know if the prior owner did anything other than the Expo kit? Can you RF gain the noise away but still retain good sensitivity? It could be the receiver was over-tweaked when the Expo kit was installed.

I had exactly the same noise on all radios, definably not normal. I was told power line leakage. Then one day it went away, never really found the cause. Its not your radio.
Ed

Nothing to do with the radio, the antenna is picking up something. First port of call is to power the radio from a battery and turn off the electric to your entire house to eliminate your home as the source.

Next is to get a handheld AM radio with a telescopic antenna and go for a walk around and do some direction finding.

Its definitely a local noise and could be even something like an electric fence.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated