• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Non techs, stay out of these exports....

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Got a Galaxy Saturn 6-band version on the desk.

Owner picked it up at our local hamfest recently. He paid 350 for it and took it up to the testing area of the hamfest to check it out, only to find out the receive was non-existent, had to crank volume all the way up to hear just a little noise. Output was down a good bit. He took the radio back to the seller and informed him of how the testing went on it and everything that it's doing/not doing. Well, the seller gave him his money back and asked what my friend would give for it, which he said 50 bucks, so the seller sold it back to him for just 50 bucks. He immediately called me.

Upon evaluation:
AM output - 18w swing peak max, 12w forward swing in average.
SSB - 15w
All modes receive was almost non existent.
No mods, hackery at all in this radio, even all the limiters are still intact. Even the clarifier circuit is stock.

What I did:
Made sure everything was stock.
Realigned completely.
Readjusted output stage.
Realigned receive, several cores were either bottomed out or flush with top of IF can.

Now:
Output AM - 38w max peak swing, 20w max average swing. Variable is set for 1w down and 7w up.
SSB - 35w
AM receive is phenomenal.
SSB receive is phenomenal.
All functions/switches/knobs work just like new.
Both meters work as brand new.
Echo works as new.
Roger beep, NB, 10khz, SWR/cal all work perfect.

Advice:
If you don't know anything about electronics, oscillators, etc...in these radios then stay out of them.
If you don't have the proper equipment to align these radios then stay out of them.

This was a great radio until someone went in it messing with stuff they knew nothing about.

Oh well, a 500 dollar radio sold for 50 bucks, repaired for 40 bucks and is now worth 500 again, and it only took an alignment and 2 hours of my time. Yes, I would give 500 for this one.

The new owner has already heard it since my work on it, he loves the sound of it, he says it has what he calls "That Monster Audio" but crisp and clean.
His best friend that went with him to pick this radio up has heard it too, he's even more impressed, lol, he wants it now.
Several other locals around here that heard it wanted to buy it from me, but I told them it's not mine. The owner chimed in with a loud "HELL NO!!! It's not for sale...", lol...

Another whack job back in service as new.

Yea, it's getting ridiculous with some of these radios.

The worst hackery I've ran across, was a galaxy dx-979 with clarifier control removed, taped off and laid inside the radio. In place of the clarifier control they placed an echo control. I was like "what the heck, what good is a sideband radio with no clarifier control, but at least they have their echo", ridiculous, lol...

Then again, I ran across a Connex with 3 different swing mods, all limiters removed and bias cranked wide open, again ridiculous, lol ..

Then again, I ran across an old Washington (8719) with 3 different variable resistor controls for a variable key, lol... The original VR was still in circuit, then another VR was tied onto the original, then wires from an external VR (Potentiometer) were tied to that other VR. Ridiculous, lol...

It's amazing to see what goes through people's minds at times, lol.... Nothing but air, lol...

Advice:
If you don't know anything about electronics, oscillators, etc...in these radios then stay out of them.
Had that advice been followed, you would not have made an easy buck on it and impressed the locals. We need screwdriver techs, otherwise most radios would last a very long time and people that fix radios for a living would be doing nothing but recaps. Besides, the last guy had to try learning on something, that's how everyone starts, by wrecking stuff. At least he priced it right after messing it up.

I got a side mic 148GTL free from a friend that said he used to do radio work for a local company. He gave it to me with some other scrap radios. Anyhow, like you mentioned above, the bias pots were cranked all the way up. Tracked it down to a bad crystal filter. Trying to make a missing signal bigger by saturating the transistors says all we need to know about his certifications as a radio tech, but I sure ain't complaining because I made out nice on the deal.

That cobra 148 ended up going into a broken base unit a friend had bought and he paid me with 4 working radios and a desk mic. Sticker value (which it isn't) came to about $900 worth of stuff (although one of the radios is a 980SSB and he said that it has the display issue after a while). I will be turning those radios into cash one of these days, just gotta go through them to be sure they are right on and figure out a display for the one. I may just convert the 980SSB to a repeater and control it via PC and ignore the display issue. But that leaves 3 and a mic to sell :)

Out of all my radios, (Realistic TRC-492 Navaho, TRC-453, Uniden PC68LTD, Uniden President Grant, 23ch Hi-Range 1 Hi-Gain) the Navaho & PC68LTD were purchased new by me. The rest I picked up here and there. I have no idea if any "Mods" were done to these radios but the covers had been removed. Currently re capping the TRC-453. We don't have a radio repair man around here so it's guys like you that I read and learn from. Keep it up!

Awesome! I didn't know they had put the original site here. I knew that some of the info was incorporated under the dxRadioTech tab, but this is the first time I saw (edit: what looked like upon first glance) the whole site here. I noticed the graphics are gone. Not sure if it is a work in progress or what, but when I shared my image of CBTricks with the mods, it had the graphics folder, the symptoms and cures, the datasheets, etc. Not sure why they would reconstruct it when it was already structured in a perfectly working way. If the mods lost the graphics folder, I still have it and know where they need to put it to make those images work again.

graphics 1.png
graphics.png
.............wrong thread for this, sorry

Last edited:
Well, we have an issue with this Saturn again.

Radio receives great, all functions work great, transmits great barefoot, but when you flip ANY amp on then there is a constant tone (I would have to say 600hz maybe 800hz). Tone does get louder with more mic gain. No limiters or swing mods in this radio at all, but it has that constant 600hz to 800hz tone on transmit. Nothing in the radio is getting hot.

What could cause a constant tone in your transmit audio when an external amp is turned on, but not receive? A cap?

It almost sounds like RF from the amp output is getting into the Saturn and mixing with some frequency or other internally and thus creating a heterodyne that is then present on transmit....... maybe......

Reactions: Hawkeye351
Since you've said any amp, my thoughts are out. Do you have ferrite chokes attached to your mains cords?
I'll check with him and ask.
I hear it myself also when I'm listening, it doesn't cover his voice up but it's there.

Same d104 he uses on all his 4 pin radios, only thing is he has to turn the mic itself down to almost off and the mic gain down to almost off to get it to stop, but then he has very little modulation. But barefoot sounds great at any mic level, mic gain level, RF power level, no constant tone at all.

Same antenna/coax/jumper setup he always uses, same meter, 3 different amps.

I asked him about his grounding setup, he said he doesn't have a ground setup, only to antenna.

Would the Tantalum cap behind TR32 (limiter transistor) cause this?

He's never had this issue before on any of his other radios (bout 6, I've already went through those).

It's odd...

Reactions: Critter98
I've not heard of Tantalums causing hum. I'd check the surrounding Electrolytic caps for any that have dried out sufficiently to alter their properties. I imagine you/he have already examined the jumper cable going to the amp?

Reactions: Hawkeye351
I've not heard of Tantalums causing hum. I'd check the surrounding Electrolytic caps for any that have dried out sufficiently to alter their properties. I imagine you/he have already examined the jumper cable going to the amp?
Yes, he tested his jumpers and they were fine, he used new ones anyway, same result.

C199 maybe?
I think there is mention of the galaxy 44v aquirring an oscillation on transmit audio which turns out to be C199.

It's on the archived version of cbtricks under galaxy symptoms and cures.

Not really a hum. Almost a 1khz constant tone but lower in frequency tone, like say 600hz to 800hz.

SWR between radio and the amp is 1.3, SWR from antenna is 1.3.

This issue may be the reason someone recapped it and tried to align it (which screwed up the alignment) and then sold it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.