• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

noob question

-On March 29, 2011, agents inspected your CB station and observed that you were operating a
non-certified CB transceiver, a Ranger RCI2995 DX, at your CB station. CB Rule 9, 47 C.F.R.
95.409(a), states that "You must use an FCC certificated CB transmitter at your CB station.
You can identify an FCC certificated transmitter by the certification label placed on it by the
manufacturer...Use of a transmitter which is not FCC certified voids your authority to operate
the station." By using the non-certified Ranger RCI2995 DX transceiver, you voided your
authority to operate this station.-

From FCC.gov

If there is no device to prevent transmit on 11M than it is illegal. If it is capable of transmit on 11M without a certification by the FCC it is illegal.

That is not true, the FCC has had to admit that the radios, sold as is out of the box is legal.
As long as you have your lic and stay with in the bands you have your ticket for, you can expand them to cover whatever frequency they will cover, and they are perfectly legal.

If you want to search here on the forum, the radio thing has been beat to death, along with the "list" of banned radios that they also admited was bogus.

Any of the Big Box radios are capable of expanded TX/RX, been that way forever.
Some of it is in the FCC section below.

As for the guy who got busted, yes, he was using non type accepted equiptment on the CB band..He was TRANSMITING, that is a violation of the rules.
This is a VERY good reason to study and get your lic and move up to 10 meters.
But as for owning the radio he was as said...Golden.
He screwed up when he attracted the attention of the FCC.

Jeff

OK now all of that brings up this question?
Is it legal to use on the cb channels? Or if I tx am I breaking the law?

I think the point they are making is that 10m 'export' radios are only legal when they are used on 10m. If you use it for your CB/CB station, you do not have the right to transmit with it . . . That is 'illegal use' . . .

The Export radios slide by with a lot of gray areas. But yes, if you transmit on CB frequencies with a non certified radio it is illegal.

But unless you are causing interference that causes complaint, no one will notice. Almost everyone has illegal setups. I do too. I really wouldn't worry, I am just throwing it out there. It is better to know and be aware of it so you take care to keep your signal clean.

-On March 29, 2011, agents inspected your CB station and observed that you were operating a
non-certified CB transceiver, a Ranger RCI2995 DX, at your CB station. CB Rule 9, 47 C.F.R.
95.409(a), states that "You must use an FCC certificated CB transmitter at your CB station.
You can identify an FCC certificated transmitter by the certification label placed on it by the
manufacturer...Use of a transmitter which is not FCC certified voids your authority to operate
the station." By using the non-certified Ranger RCI2995 DX transceiver, you voided your
authority to operate this station.-

From FCC.gov

All that means is he was using a non-certified radio on the CB band. The same thing would apply if he was using a Kenwood TS-2000 or a Yeasu FT-857 both of which are legal radios......just not legal to use on CB.

What Jeff, Audioshockwav said is 100% true, There are no such "illegal" radios. That infamous "list" that keeps getting mentioned all the time on forums has been deemed null and void by the courts a few years ago. The radios are legal. the operation of them however can be illegal if used on 11m. run them all day long and all nigh too if you want on 10m 100% legal.

I get that. But who really buys an export and has it converted for CB use to just listen? That is just silly.

And this guy asked about using it on 11M not 10M. I am simply letting him know because he has a right to know. The FCC laws as written on their page is very vague in the description when it comes to CB usage. It states that "use of non certified radio at your CB station" is illegal. It gives no definition of the word "use" as to mean transmit only. I know it is perfectly legal to own a HAM radio without a license as long as you don't transmit. But radios capable of operation on CB frequencies seems to fall into more gray area. Thus being, a little more caution is prudent for those who do wish to follow the letter of the law.

Example:
If your nosy neighbor sees your antenna and asks if you have a radio; and you say yes. Even if you've never transmitted, he swears you are coming over his TV and cordless phone and the FCC gets a complaint. They inspect your station, and you have a radio capable of transmitting where you aren't supposed to, guess what? I don't think the "I have it but never transmitted" is going to help you. That is as ridiculous and foolish as "I smoked pot but I didn't inhale." This is an obviously exaggerated scenario, but you should still see my point.

The previous posts/instances I referred to of FCC citations, it isn't like they caught those guys in the middle of a key up and the FCC came running in with their field strength meters and said "A-HA, caught ya red handed!"

Are 999 out of 1000 operators going to get a visit from the FCC, no. But everyone should know what is and isn't legal. Then they can decide for themselves what they do from there. I am just answering his question, not passing judgment.

OK now all of that brings up this question?
Is it legal to use on the cb channels? Or if I tx am I breaking the law?

So now this is all said and done just run the Connex in the 11m band. If you want to have fun with some of the free bands, talk some skip, or just get away from the noise go one band below cb channel 1. That is where most of the "freeband" AM traffic is.

As far as your question earlier about FM, that is just another mode of talking on the same frequency. Some radio's have AM,FM,USB, & LSB. FM is all carrier, AM has a carrier and a modulated signal, and the two SSB modes have no carrier and all modulated watts.

Reactions: 1 person
OK how do you go about obtaining your "ticket"?
How much does it cost?
How much power can you run on a mobile station
Legally?
Where do you go to get started?

it isn't like they caught those guys in the middle of a key up and the FCC came running in with their field strength meters and said "A-HA, caught ya red handed!"
'

I do not mean to be bagging on you, but this is not true.
Once you have gained enough attention to get them to move on you, they damn sure will not show up empty handed.
If the FCC sends field agents to your area looking for you, rest assured that the have located you and have listened to you.
I have personally observed FCC agents in action during an enforcement investigation, this was a joint effort with them, the Sheriff`s office and some local amateurs and CB radio guys in the area to get a real dickhead off of air.
In fact, the local CB club asked for help getting this guy off the air....yes he was that bad.
Here is another case, Search the forum for " Ira Jones" a rouge CB radio operator in Merced,CA that uses the handle "Falcon".
Another real dick head.
I remember back in the 80`s when we had a guy in the middle of town running a rather healthy henry amp, lived 6 blocks from the local police station.
Yes, he was splashing them, and got numerous complaints sent to the FCC about him...however he was a little smarter.
By the time they got to his place, he had a bone stock president washington sitting on his desk.
When asked to inspect his station, he allowed them in and directed them to this radio, coax, and outside to the antenna.
He told me they asked to look in other rooms, he told them NO, this is my CB station, and you can look all you want at it, but nowhere else.
He knew better, they knew, the "authority to inspect" is not a blanket warrant to search the whole house.
(He was also smart enough to sell the amp, and tone it down after that.)
He complied with the inspection...yes he got a warning and a fresh copy of the rules to ofically let him know not to run more than 4 watts, but no enforcement action.
OK, so Yes, we all know how the game is played, but if you are going to follow the letter of the law, it is what it is.
Even the coast guard, and FEMA have bought "export radios" in the past for use.
This was also documented here on the forum.
It has always been this way, even back when we used to swap crystals in our old Johnson radios to get away from the traffic on the regular 23 channels.
But, as 9C1 has said, IF you run the radio on 11 meters and are not a dick about how you operate your station, 9 times out of 10 you will never see them. Do understand that if you are stupid enough to get that attention, yes it is aginst the rules to use the radio on CB unless it has that magic FCC ID plate on the back of the radio.

Now...off the soap box.
There are many on-line study guides to help you work towards your Ham Ticket.
If you enjoy playing radio, it is the only way to go....gives you so much more room to play.
And a lot less to worry about.
The cost is not much, just to cover some the cost of the VE`s to give the test.
You can run up to 1500 watts depending on you class of Lic.
Search online to see if you have a Ham club in your area, that is your best source of info on testing.

Jeff

OK how do you go about obtaining your "ticket"?
How much does it cost?
How much power can you run on a mobile station
Legally?
Where do you go to get started?

There is really a ton of information out there, a simple google search would yield thousands of web sites. You might try qrz.com

I would do alot of reading, looking, and listening. Many hams and ham sites are very much anti cb and cb'ers in general. In other words I would not talk about your Connex 3300 on a ham forum, they would blast you out of the water.

Thank you all for the information.
I shall check into whether or not there is a club in my area. And check it out online.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.