• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not enough juice

D. koenig

Nov 28, 2021
Hi all' new here and strongly need advice. I am using an astron power supply to run a galaxy 98vhp. I just bought a fatboy 150amp 14.5v power supply to run a 8 pill. Now my problem is when I use them the lights dim and I'm not getting the output I should be getting. I bought a 100ft heavy duty extension cord and ran it to a different outlet and same results. Any advise on what to do? Thank you

The lights dim on ?
The radio lights?
The amp lights?
The house lights?
And
Is the FB power supply regulated?
Can you measure the no load voltage of the power supply and then measure the voltage under load?
Also, pictures of the inside of the supply would be good.

Jeff

Reactions: r carl and NZ8N
The house lights dim. There is a tamper sticker on the amp. I don't want to open it then voids the warranty. The meter on the power supply drops from 14.5 to 12.3 when in use, and on ssb, drops to 10.6v the 8 pill draws around 110 amps. That's why I use 2 different supplies. The galaxy draws about 20 Amos and on ssb it draws near 40 amps. Thinking about getting an inverter generator to run the fatboy supply.

Hi all' new here and strongly need advice. I am using an astron power supply to run a galaxy 98vhp. I just bought a fatboy 150amp 14.5v power supply to run a 8 pill. Now my problem is when I use them the lights dim and I'm not getting the output I should be getting. I bought a 100ft heavy duty extension cord and ran it to a different outlet and same results. Any advise on what to do? Thank you
100ft heavy duty extension cord? Your well north of 20 amps unless your on a dedicated circuit,..120vac i guess..30 amps cord with a TT-30 plug?
But that would not be my concern..
1) How many amps is your service?
2) Are you on a dedicated circuit? Whats it rated for at 110vac? Switch to 240 if possible??
3) Sounds like your lights and everything else is on the same circuit.
4) Get a cheap extension cord, strip the insulation and measure the amps with an Amprobe.
5) Measure the voltage drop.
6) Do math.. At max your around 2000w at the PS.

All the above.
All together that's a big load for a single house circuit, running a 8 pill in the house.
If it's dimming the house lights You need to fix that issue first.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N
People 150 amps @ 14.5 volts equals 2175 watts.

Now. That's output. Available to your Linear!

Now. How much is lost in the transformer and how much is dissipated as heat by regulator or pass transistors.

Regardless if this PSU is a switchmode Snollyfluffer or if it's a Linear Snollygoster. Let's just say 2500 watts consumption from the wall.

Keeping it real here, if you had to run a 100 foot extension cord (absolutely terrible idea) at this location for whatever reason you obviously aren't running 240vac, and only people with needs, or special circumstances spec for a 20 amp 120vac outlet. Let alone a 30 amp 120vac

15 amp 120vac breaker, typical. Gets hot at 1800ish watts and pops.

If you haven't blown the breaker yet it's because you have so much loss in your AC delivery wiring to the PSU that even as you brown out your supply your hundreds of extra feet in supply wiring is getting warm and acting like a resistor thus the breaker at the panel isn't seeing a "tripping" load.

Bro. If you gotta have the jangle this bad. Buy you a 3000 watt whisper quiet Honda generator. That'll give you all you need at 120vac

A years supply of gas will be cheaper then the gear you're about to witness Chernobyl.

I get a cleft chili hole just picturing all this.

Also something worth keeping in mind is that breakers normally get weaker as they age or with functioning use. I,e tripping. Now from what I've read depending on design they can "open" below their current rating or not open when they should.

Now Chinesium breakers burn folks houses down with surprising regularity.

Be careful man. Electrical fires are only electrical during ignition. After that it's just a big ass fire.

I know the name, but I'm not familiar with their power supply products.

But. It should be capable of operating off 240Vac

Internal wiring configuration.

It'd be better all around to run it at the highest supply voltage possible. More efficient.

Your problem probably lies within your service and your 100' cord.
How many amps is the breaker for that circuit? How many other appliances are using that circuit? 100' cord is just bad news. Your outlet needs to be within the supplys cord length, no extentions.
Your supply really needs a dedicated breaker and outlet. Sounds like you may need to do some math and figure out if your service is maxed out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated