• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

odd ball Johnson 223 tube radio 1 of a kind?

ak3383

Oct 31, 2008
Ok here's my question,
I have an old Johnson 223 tube radio that I bought about 15-years ago and what I can't figure out is the front speaker grill is a different color than all the other same type 223's I have seen. The ones I have seen do have the same case color as mine - kind of a dull light green - but all of them I have ever saw pictures of have a (black) speaker grill.
On my 223 the speaker grill is the same color - dull green - as the case.
The grill has not been repainted as I have peaked behind the original speaker and it's the same color with no signs of painting. The radio was all stock when I got it, it had the original tubes installed and worked well as it still does today. Is the one I have just an oddity???

hmmm......... my grill and case are black. Not repainted. I wonder if they ran 2 colors, green and black and got the grills mixed up in production ?

I have a pair of 223's, one of my all time favorites.On one of them, the rear of the cover is solid.No holes like most others .Its the only one Ive ever seen like it. I'll post a pic of it when I get around to doing it.Also, can anyone out there tell me what a Messenger 600 looks like ?I heard of them , but dont remember seeing one.Maybe I need one for my Johnson collection.

Dear Fellow 223 Lovers,
Can I do anything to add 17 Channels to make my 223 40 Chs. ??
Not a Rock Box.. Maybe a Expo 160 Kit or something like that..
Let me know where to get one ?? A VFO is also N/G..
If someone has a 223 or 124-M they want to get rid of please
Advise... freddbro@aol.com

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.