• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

odd pl259 ??

center conductor is grey in color and doesn't look to be soldered to the connector,, unless its just a bad pic, it doesn't look right

Aircraft feed lines having to be crimped must be 'new'. I used to own an aircraft and it's nav/com radio feed lines were soldered. As far as that goes, I can't tell if those connectors are soldered or crimped. Soldered center conductor? I know I've done a few that didn't appear to be soldered when they were.
The only thing that I can see that probably isn't the best thing in the world is where the cable was probably help with piers to screw on the connector :). Sorry, I don't see any obvious boo-boos.
- 'Doc

... and have a midget hula dancer prance over their graves a few times. Can't hurt, besides... take pictures!
- 'Doc

whats up with these pl259's installed on this rg213 coax:

Coleman Coax Cable 8409F M17 74 RG213 Mil C 17 OJUD5 65 Feet | eBay

Other than the piss poor solder job on the inner conductor, nothing is wrong.

center conductor is grey in color and doesn't look to be soldered to the connector,, unless its just a bad pic, it doesn't look right

The center pin looks like it is silver plated and not the shiny chrome most people think is good. The silver plate makes for a much better connection and is a dull gray finish.

the shield looks to be soldered it the 4 holes as normal?

maybe some weird military deal

The shield should be soldered in the four holes. No weird military deal at all. The center pin should have been soldered better. The connectors are just normal PL-259 connectors but the solder job is what has something wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I might be wrong,but first of all soldering is pish poor, secondly I think cheap 9mm plugs have been used,as you can see what looks like vice marks oin them,probably from trying to squeeze a proper 10.3mm mil spec cable into them,they also look nickel plated which might explain poor soldering,nickels best filed back to the brass underneath then tinned for soldering, amphenol 83-1sp would have been best choice plug,

marks on cable near plug could have came from someone trying to force screw it on,with proper plugs and cable it screws on jacket easily and leaves a fine thread,but no more than light hand pressure is needed to screw cable sleeve right into plug.They also cut centre conductor far to short,work of a complete amateur.

That's my best guess from pictures :)

This is what I ordered from Amateur Radio Supply. Description on coax shield. : Davis RF/Div of Orion Wire-RG8X 16AWG 1354 E179333 47311

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.