• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ofcom finally opens their eyes ~ (Legal AM/SSB for the UK)

what is the double sideband they are talking about vs single sideband?

Yes indeed. The full and proper name for regular AM is "Double sideband full carrier amplitude modulation". There are other types of AM as well like double sideband reduced carrier where the carrier is a LOT lower than the modulated peak value. Just like running 1 watt "swinging" to 25 watts. That is in fact double sideband reduced carrier.

Reactions: 4 people
The DSB I recall was a mod for AM radios i saw in an old mod book, was suppressed carrier DSB,the benefit being anyone on lower or upper sideband could hear you.Seemed pretty pointless and a waste of bandwidth/power, a bit like AM. Alhough I have heard AM abrreviated to that but as CK says it usually DSB FULL CARRIER. Either way its 3 decades too late here,AM die in early 80's and will never come back as ssb will be primary choice now, as for an influx of European imported radios,thats a possibility, but as European companys all use the same far east manufacturers as US importers its highly unlikely anything new may appear,

as far as i know its legalised in all cept countries, providing the government of that country doesn't opt out.Like everything in Europe, when it comes to policies they always have a get out clause, and in true European nature if they didn't they'd just start a war to achieve it, history shows when European countries get pissed off at each other, war inevitably follows.:eek:

As most UK operators, I'm over the moon with the news

And continue to use 27.555, more than 12W ERP and your Cobra/NATO/3900/5555s....

;)

Somehow I doubt that it'll see everyone currently using SSB suddenly become law abiding. There also seem to be a lot of people who think that its going to mean their current sidebanders are going to be legal to use.

We get there eventually. Sadly at the moment the only SSB I know of for sale that'll be legal on day 1 is the President Jackson 2 ASC.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.