• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Off Frequency 2950 ( 1st gen )

20Hz makes no difference on SSB. You can't guarantee listening on other radios to guess the accuracy. Also the only way to do it for SSB if you are is to use a radio with a temperature controlled oscillator for receiving and to use a tone of a known frequency transmitted into the microphone of the one under test and to use the receiving radio hooked up to a computer where it can display a waterfall for the received signal so you can see what frequency the line for the tone generated is. So for example if you're tuned on 28.500.00 USB and feed an 800Hz tone into the transmitting radio you should see a line on the waterfall of the receiving radio at 28.500.80, assuming that radio is on frequency.

Unless your Yaesu is fitted with a TXCO it's possible it's more than 20Hz out, my Kenwood TS480 and TS590 both were on 10m and even with a TXCO fitted they were 4Hz out. Just because it's an amateur radio is no guarantee it's more accurate unless it's fitted with an OXCO/TXCO.

BUT ITS ALL A WASTE OF TIME ANYWAY. Because when you do that you're still going to find SSB sounds off with various stations because even if your radio is bang on theirs most likely won't be. RIT on ham radios and clarifiers on CB were put on so you could offset the received SSB to make it sound more "right" without having to change channel/move the VFO precisely because this is what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xjeepguy
20Hz makes no difference on SSB. You can't guarantee listening on other radios to guess the accuracy. Also the only way to do it for SSB if you are is to use a radio with a temperature controlled oscillator for receiving and to use a tone of a known frequency transmitted into the microphone of the one under test and to use the receiving radio hooked up to a computer where it can display a waterfall for the received signal so you can see what frequency the line for the tone generated is. So for example if you're tuned on 28.500.00 USB and feed an 800Hz tone into the transmitting radio you should see a line on the waterfall of the receiving radio at 28.500.80, assuming that radio is on frequency.

Unless your Yaesu is fitted with a TXCO it's possible it's more than 20Hz out, my Kenwood TS480 and TS590 both were on 10m and even with a TXCO fitted they were 4Hz out. Just because it's an amateur radio is no guarantee it's more accurate unless it's fitted with an OXCO/TXCO.

BUT ITS ALL A WASTE OF TIME ANYWAY. Because when you do that you're still going to find SSB sounds off with various stations because even if your radio is bang on theirs most likely won't be. RIT on ham radios and clarifiers on CB were put on so you could offset the received SSB to make it sound more "right" without having to change channel/move the VFO precisely because this is what happens.
Thanks for the input . I wasnt able to edit my 1st post but did make the correction on my post # 12 . It's actually about 200 Hz off , not 20 . Someone was nice enough here to PM me and give me a hand with this :D

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.