• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ok I know what I am about to ask is ok on industrial transformer's but ????

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
Ok my High Voltage Transformers have no taps for filiamanet or bias etc....they do have two sets of identical HV taps same color wires.

I know it is not a problem to wire these taps parallel. Can they also be wired in series with in a single transformer?

If yes I would imagine that phasing would be critical? Unlike most transformer's this one has no notes on wiring inked or painted on it. You know how normally you will have multiple taps and then a simple schematic with which post's on to wire on the primary and secondary side for parallel or series configuration? This one does not have that. What is best practice for determining the phasing of the wires so you know which two to wire for series with in the transformer.

I just want to make sure I am 100% right in how I planed to do this.

Also I was thinking about taking one of my old battery charger's and taping the ac 12 volt output before it get's rectified so I can put 12volts into the transformer and power supply section once I have individually tested the parts and assembled it as a low power test run. Can you see any problem with that from a practical stand point? The battery charger in question is not a switching power supply so the freq. of the power coming out of the ac transformer should be the same as the house mains. Since I have not gotten around to getting a variac I figured this would be a low cost temp. solution just to test the system? My thinking being that at 1/10 the power in the power output should be scalled back as well so that instead HV I would be working with voltage on par with what is seen in residential hook up's.

Thanks for reviewing my questions and idea's and giving feed back even if I do not always like what I hear.....LOL Keeps me honest! wink wink

First thing that comes to mind is: you should have continuity between any ONE secondary wire and only ONE other one - just to verify that the windings are isolated from one another.

Then, since you're using a Variac, apply some arbitrary low AC voltage to the primary and carefully measure the output of each secondary. Sounds like they should be pretty close to equal.

Now, with the Variac setting unchanged but with it UNPLUGGED!!, connect one lead from each of the secondary windings together temporarily but securely and safely. Then connect the voltmeter across the other two leads and plug the Variac back in. If the phasing is correct, the voltage should read right about DOUBLE what you have across each secondary individually. If the phasing is wrong, the voltages should cancel and read very nearly zero.

That is what I was planning to do but wanted to make sure that sounded right! Given that HV transformers do not grow on tree's I do not want to mess anything up! As always I am being very safe!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?