• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ok lets get this learning party started

khayman669

Oct 4, 2012
Denver
Ok after reading most all of the general forum and some of the others as you can imagine ive got a boatload of questions. But i will start with what i gathered to be the most important part of the radio setup......the antenna.

What are some good basic antenna links i can read to get me started in the right direction?

I dont wanna be one of those guys that just buys something, throws it up and dont know the "whys" of its operation. I want to understand why it works the way it does.

Ok hit me with your best shot! :)

Best antenna for learning a lot about how and why it works is a simple half-wave dipole that you build yourself.

Two end insulators, one center insulator, a yard of wire (with a bit left over) and some coaxial cable. Then two elevated points to hang it up.

Start with safety and simple and build from there. Antenna IMax2000 olny a 100.00 investment. Get some good coax or great coax. stay away from any and all powerlines, get a mobil SSB radio and a powersupply. You can allways use it mobil later if you decide to get a base. and start talking. proper grounding and disconecting the radio during storms is also a good practice. as a lightning supressor is a good Idea.

Most of all use the radio and start talking regulary make some new friends. go to a coffee break etc, It's all in fun. And if things ugly you have plenty of chanels and the on and off switch. LoL
If you are married don't use the radio more than 23 1/2 hrs a day. the wife needs a little time too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.