• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

old cb radio question

rbig

Apr 20, 2011
Got a couple of older, but still quite nice radio's. They're the things that are hand held. They have 8 batteries, and rubber ducky antennas. Channel changers.

I have a power cord which plugs into 12vdc.

Big question is whether they are designed to run off of 12vdc straight into them, or whether or not they have to have batteries to work properly.

I'm starting to think both require batteries in place to operate.

I'd sure like to use on on a trip we're taking plugged into 12vdc. It would be very convenient NOT to have to put batteries into them.

Does anyone know the answer on these old radios?

Got a couple of older, but still quite nice radio's. They're the things that are hand held. They have 8 batteries, and rubber ducky antennas. Channel changers.

I have a power cord which plugs into 12vdc.

Big question is whether they are designed to run off of 12vdc straight into them, or whether or not they have to have batteries to work properly.

I'm starting to think both require batteries in place to operate.

I'd sure like to use on on a trip we're taking plugged into 12vdc. It would be very convenient NOT to have to put batteries into them.

Does anyone know the answer on these old radios?

There is a very easy way to figure it out.....plug the 12v cord into the radio and see if it works.

I've done that. No workee. Thing is, there may be other factors at work, inside and outside the cases.

I'll post model nos later tonite. I'll take a measurement device and see if it's actually 12vdc getting to the radios.

I think I may have found the problem. I took a VOM out to the car this evening. It's not getting 12vdc at the plug end of the extension.

Did basic troubleshooting. The thing that plugs into a cigarette lighter had a blown fuse. I suspect tomorrow when I replace that, we'll have these things working right.

Here's the model nos:

a. Cobra HH35

b. GE 3-5980A

They work fine without batteries!!!

I got the fuse in the plug, and has one more blow on me. Reversal of polity on the gadget that plugs into the end of it. Got that one turned right, and BINGO: good results!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.