• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old side mike 29 classic worth fixing?

maddog355

Sep 22, 2011
Ok after reading countless threads stating that the old side mount mike verson of certian radios was best, I remember I have a old 29 LTD Classic with the mike plug on the side. Best I can recall the reason I shelfed it was the RF/SWR switch got broke. I think I took it apart going to fix it and never got back to it. Would it be worth the cost to fix it? I would end up taking it someplace as I am not that steady anymore. What do yall think? Is it that much better than my current front mike 29 LTD? Or even still worth the money to fix at all?

Ok after reading countless threads stating that the old side mount mike verson of certian radios was best, I remember I have a old 29 LTD Classic with the mike plug on the side. Best I can recall the reason I shelfed it was the RF/SWR switch got broke. I think I took it apart going to fix it and never got back to it. Would it be worth the cost to fix it? I would end up taking it someplace as I am not that steady anymore. What do yall think? Is it that much better than my current front mike 29 LTD? Or even still worth the money to fix at all?

That is a never ending debate. The answer you get will depend on who you ask (concerning which is better). The fact is that the old Philippine made and even Tawain made are built with better quality components. I think that if you could go back in time to buy a Philippine made Cobra 29 and bring it to the future to match up with a China made version, the Philippine made is going to outlast (longevity wise) the China made.
Performance wise, the newer models aren't worse per say. It is hit or miss. Quality control just isn't what it used to be. The older radios are probably more consistant in performance than today's. But you also have to take into consideration that your side mic radio has probably been around for a while. It may need to have some caps replaced to optimize its performance, and it may need to have an alignment done to bring it back into spec.

So is it worth fixing? If all it needs is the S/Rf, SWR switch replaced, I would fix it. If it isn't performing how it should, bring it into a shop and have them give it some maintinance to have it working like new.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the input, I had forgotten all about the radio untill I got to reading around here. I will try to get it to the shop next week and see about getting it fixed. Atleast I can put it in the daughters truck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.