• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OLD Uniden BC-855 XLT Scanner help needed !

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
This isn't a 2-way radio scanner but a old analog scanner that was given to me years ago and hope some repair tech in here can give me some advice on reviving this old scanner because it's all I need for this area. And SS doesn't pay well so I don't want to waste money buying new. A lady gave it to me because her husband died and she knew nothing about it. I researched it and found enough info to get it working good for my needs but after it setting a while not being used ( but plugged in for memory purpose ) I found it didn't seem to receive anything but the weather channels even though the other channels showed up as being loaded. So I reloaded channels and it scans them with a few skips but haven't heard anything yet except the weather stations. So this is what they say about the memory. (
The OM says, "A unique capacitor type memory back-up eliminates the need
for batteries". ) Here is what I was considering doing. Unplug the radio for 4 days to make it forget the channels that was programed into it and start out fresh reloading channels. But then I started thinking because this scanner was made in the 1990s maybe that old Capacitor couldn't handle the shock and recharge. I'm not a repair tech so I don't want to try to locate and change a bad capacitor. What's your thoughts on reviving that capacitor, am I over-worrying & should I just ( LET HER RIP ) !

I seem to recall an issue with a bearcat scanner that wouldn't rx anymore, but did scan. The solution was a faulty capacitor but it's been too long and I don't remember which.

Reactions: whiteastro
A lot of the older Bearcat scanners were plagued with corrosive glue. If you’re Bearcat has that glue, you will see it around and under some of the larger electrolytic caps, crystals etc. It needs to be removed ASAP, and that includes changing most of those components associated with it. My Bearcat BC147XLT was very similar to yours. I decided it was not worth restoring after the legs of a crystal were eaten off, a tuning can, plus other items. Changing affected electrolytic caps, diodes, and resistors are not much of an issue for me, but things like crystals with odd frequencies and proprietary parts get to be too expensive. I’m hoping your later model doesn’t have that corrosive glue, but I wanted you to be aware of it. You will find numerous YouTube videos about this subject.

A lot of the older Bearcat scanners were plagued with corrosive glue. If you’re Bearcat has that glue, you will see it around and under some of the larger electrolytic caps, crystals etc. It needs to be removed ASAP, and that includes changing most of those components associated with it. My Bearcat BC147XLT was very similar to yours. I decided it was not worth restoring after the legs of a crystal were eaten off, a tuning can, plus other items. Changing affected electrolytic caps, diodes, and resistors are not much of an issue for me, but things like crystals with odd frequencies and proprietary parts get to be too expensive. I’m hoping your later model doesn’t have that corrosive glue, but I wanted you to be aware of it. You will find numerous YouTube videos about this subject.
I hooked it up again and have it reporting again somewhat so I'll try it some more until I get time to open it up to check it out. It has 50 channels so it's more than I need so maybe I can search some of the Ham Channels for the fun of it also. Thanks Mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.