• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Older Texas Star D.C. 350 ssb delay

TS SSB Delay on all the time.jpg

Texas Star (Outcom) If you trace the connection from the + side of C4 to the switch, the + side of C4 goes to the 2nd pin on the front left of the SSB switch, if you solder or jumper the 2nd to the 3rd pins on the front left of the switch, SSB Delay will be always on. There is no need to remove C4 and move it to across D1. This does the exact same thing. I have done this to a lot of TS amps, 250, 350, 500 and 667's.

View attachment 47420

Texas Star (Outcom) If you trace the connection from the + side of C4 to the switch, the + side of C4 goes to the 2nd pin on the front left of the SSB switch, if you solder or jumper the 2nd to the 3rd pins on the front left of the switch, SSB Delay will be always on. There is no need to remove C4 and move it to across D1. This does the exact same thing. I have done this to a lot of TS amps, 250, 350, 500 and 667's.
Thanks, I appreciate the info

View attachment 47420

Just want to be clear before I jumper pins 2 and 3. My switches seem to have 6 pins per side. Ive attached a pic, showing how I'm looking at switches, and where I think you mean for the jumper. Im looking from back of unit, with cover off. You mean to jumper from 2 to 3, as shown in my pic?
Again, thanks for advice

Attachments

• 20211002_114734.jpg
    20211002_114734.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
Orient the front of the amp and switch assembly towards you. There are 4 gangs of 3 pins to each switch. The 1st 3 pins on the front left of the switch is the one that provides + power to the Cap and the light bulb inside of the button. The front left pin is not connected to anything, the center pin of the front 3 pins goes to the internal light bulb, and to the positive side of the SSB delay capacitor. The 3rd pin has +12v on it all the time (if hooked to a DC voltage source). Connect the 2nd pin as indicated, to the 3rd pin. You can use a small wire or a resistor cut off lead, or bend the pins towards each other, I have done this sometimes too. Solder them together. The light will not light up unless the button is pushed, as it gets it's ground from the other side or Front Right 3 pins.

Reactions: SteveSteve
From what I am understanding ? If I jump pins 2&3 this will allow me to run SSB on full power without relay chatter ? I read there would be a slight delay on the AM side after doing this ? Could I just wire pins 2&3 to a small toggle switch so I could turn it off when using AM to avoid that problem ? Or am I missing something here ? Thanks Switch

Reactions: NZ8N and Holydvr
I do believe you have it all correct, yes.
Thanks Hd ! Just thought I would ask before attempting the mod . I'm guessing this amp is on the older side ? (but in very good condition) I can recall over the years Texas Star maybe fixing that problem by putting a rocker switch in the back ? I never really cared much for those push button lighted power controls on these amps but it seems it's always been the Texas Star way. I'll do some pic's once I get to it. Much thanks. Switch

Reactions: walterjn
Well the switch thing seemed to work the relays better on High power on SSB (much better then it was but far from perfect) but in my case the switch still needs to be on for AM as well ? because with it off it shuts down the radios receive but there is no delay on AM after unkeying so that doesn't become a problem ........unless I did something wrong ? Could have just jumped the pins and left it at that for the fact there is no delay on AM anyway . Go figure ? Much thanks . Switch
IMG_20220714_131035834[1].jpg

Reactions: NZ8N
Well the switch thing seemed to work the relays better on High power on SSB (much better then it was but far from perfect) but in my case the switch still needs to be on for AM as well ? because with it off it shuts down the radios receive but there is no delay on AM after unkeying so that doesn't become a problem ........unless I did something wrong ? Could have just jumped the pins and left it at that for the fact there is no delay on AM anyway . Go figure ? Much thanks . Switch View attachment 59794
I made a mistake , I had the wires on the wrong side of the switch , moved them directly across and all is working great ! All power modes in SSB with good relay delay , No delay on AM after turning off the toggle switch as it should be . Thanks to all that had anything to do with this thread over the years . She's ah work'in ! Switch
IMG_20220715_023752741[1].jpg

Reactions: NZ8N and Holydvr
Thanks Hd ! Just thought I would ask before attempting the mod . I'm guessing this amp is on the older side ? (but in very good condition) I can recall over the years Texas Star maybe fixing that problem by putting a rocker switch in the back ? I never really cared much for those push button lighted power controls on these amps but it seems it's always been the Texas Star way. I'll do some pic's once I get to it. Much thanks. Switch
Yours is not as old as my DX-250 as far as I know. It has non Toshiba older transistors in it. Probably right after they stopped labeling them Outcom I would think.

Reactions: Switch Kit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.