• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OmegaForce 45Hp question

Mr_Jones

Feb 12, 2012
I have pretty much narrowed my search for a base station radio. But, have a few questions. I have been hearing talk about a new version with a 6 digit freq counter. Is this True? If so, I am thinking about waiting. I do alot of ssb but also rag chew on AM alot and want something with audio and playtoys like echo.

Also, can I bring down the wattage on ssb If I do not have a HD amplifier?

I know there is alot of people that talk about wattage and here different numbers but what can I expect from a stock omega? On ssb and am? One thing that drew me to this radio is that you really don't need to put the golden screwdriver and do any mods its mostly ready to roll with great am audio.

I was at first thinking about getting a vr-9000 but I still would have to buy a ex-2018 because I want that type of echo.

I have found the Omegas for 250 plus 22 dollars shipping to be the cheapest place on the web from a no name newbe company.
But, Is there a reputable dealer for magnum that is whithin 10 bucks other then the hy/copper owner?

Thanks for the help
MR. Jones

Reactions: 1 person

The OmegaForce S45HP is pretty decent for causal SSB use. Mine required a slight tweaking to get both upper and lower SSB to have the same receive audio passband. On AM they get the job done! The locals weren't ready for the TG modulation that the 45HP will deliver. Any time folks are saying they have to turn down the volume when you transmit, you've got it right. It packs a punch when setup right. Six digit freq. counter is nice but not needed as this radio seems to stay put fairly well is SSB. I've talked with Mr. Lewis about these radios and the issue some are having with the RFX75 breaking into oscillation when in SSB. There is a fix that involves replacement of the grounding screw inside the RFX75 with a copper or zinc type. As far as power output on SSB its adjustable from the front panel, but don't push it more than about 40-50 watts as the RFX75 will not be happy. Do the mod. and then maybe you can get a little more but its not worth it.
Mine was doing about 80+ watts on AM right out of the box. All I did was do the jumper swap and receive alignment for the many new bands I now have. Opened the hand mic which by the way is a power mic and turned the little pot inside up just a bit and BAM your going to suprise some folks who have spent money to get what you got stock! I've owned quite a few "exports" and this is one of the better units to come out. Sam Lewis will assist you if you have any issues with this radio. He called me at home after I emailed him about the RFX75 issue. Now thats what I call customer service!!! Good Luck and good DX.

I have been extremely happy with mine. I am primarily a SSB operator, and the stability has been very good. As mentioned by Turn it to the right, they are really strong on AM. I tried several different mics on mine, and the stocker sounded the best. I would recommend putting a fan on the heat sink to keep things cool.

I haven't really tried playing with a low power output (my amp is a HD). But it seems like I did have mine turned down to 15-20 watts once or twice. :) Hope you like yours!

RT307

Ive owned my s45hp for about 3 weeks and i dont like it. I do ssb but have yet to make contact with anyone on ssb in the 27MH (even with dx500v on high),
I can hear them, but cant reach them, but have no problems on ssb at 28MH (even with amp off).
As far as AM, its AWESOME, 1w swings 45w TG Mod (off) and 1w swinging 80w TG Mod (on).
2 things i find aggravating about the radio.
1) Switching from AM to SSB, the echo has to be turned off, then RE-adjusted everytime you go back to AM.
2) In the 10 meter band the freq can only be changed 10Kh at a time, instead of 1Kh ie.. 28.350,360,370,380 instead or 28.350,351,352,353,354.
It will change 1Kh such as 350,351,352 but when it gets to 359, it returns to 350 instead of continuing to 360
AM, love it, SSB, to much hassle. Hope this helps.
Honestly, I wish I had gotten another RCI2950

Also not a happy camper with the Omega Force S45 HP...I had mine installed for less than a week before it started having problems.

But first thing I noticed was a increase in engine noises that I didn't have before with other radios...Like engine whining (the aggravating up and down pitched noise like a fuel pump or alternator makes)

next, when I would turn on the radio, it would light up, but would take sometimes up to 20-30 minutes before the sound came up. (like the antenna was unhooked)

The Echo which Magnum claims to be one of the best..."If it sounds On the Air anything like what I was hearing on the Talk-Back, it probably sounds all garbled"...

Radio checks from locals would tell me it sounded "tin-ie", unless I had the TG on..."Not as loud as my General Lee"...least on AM...Only made a couple of contacts on SSB with it, and I think I was lucky to get them.

Radio was advertised with the RFX 75 to do 80w's AM and SSB, which from everything I have read since, is true on the AM, but don't expect about half of that on SSB....Mine was only doing about 40-50 on SSB.

Another thing, I talked to Sam Lewis at RF Limited about it, and he gave me a work order number, and told me to send the radio off to a place called "The Radio Shop", which I did, with a letter explaining everything I thought was wrong with the unit...

Sent the radio off over 3 weeks ago, and haven't herd one word back from anyone at "The Radio Shop" or RF Limited...

Don't think I'll be buying another Magnum Product anytime soon...

My OmegaForceHP didn't have ANY of the problems that Jesse J had.
Should have sent it back for warranty.

The echo (if you like that kind of thing) is much better than the Galaxy units by far. Galaxy = muddy; Magnum = crystal. The Galaxy uses a cheap chip and the Magnum uses a chip that was primarily designed for high end Karaoke machines.

I cannot say that the AM performance is better than a Connex. Never owned one. But it is outstanding.

SSB performance is what got me interested in the Magnum.
It delivers.

The only gripe I have with this radio, is the fact that mosfet transistors work great until you try to turn it up to the max and run it that way. Then, the finals fail. So, don't do that.

Own two of the OF radios, they are keepers - IMO . . .

Are these radios still being sold? I thought they were like on backorder.

If so, how are they being fixed like the 257 to make more difficult to modify?

Ive owned my s45hp for about 3 weeks and i dont like it. I do ssb but have yet to make contact with anyone on ssb in the 27MH (even with dx500v on high),
I can hear them, but cant reach them, but have no problems on ssb at 28MH (even with amp off).
As far as AM, its AWESOME, 1w swings 45w TG Mod (off) and 1w swinging 80w TG Mod (on).
2 things i find aggravating about the radio.
1) Switching from AM to SSB, the echo has to be turned off, then RE-adjusted everytime you go back to AM.
2) In the 10 meter band the freq can only be changed 10Kh at a time, instead of 1Kh ie.. 28.350,360,370,380 instead or 28.350,351,352,353,354.
It will change 1Kh such as 350,351,352 but when it gets to 359, it returns to 350 instead of continuing to 360
AM, love it, SSB, to much hassle. Hope this helps.
Honestly, I wish I had gotten another RCI2950

A local cab driver runs the same combo, he is smoken with it and talk's anyplace he wants local or DX.

Are these radios still being sold? I thought they were like on backorder.

If so, how are they being fixed like the 257 to make more difficult to modify?

There still available...Maybe some stores sold out, and just don't have any in stock is what you seen...

The New ones are like the 257 yes. some soldering is now involved to make it work on 11 Meter...You can thank the FCC for that...{Cry_river}

AMEN TO THAT! ive got ignition noise and alt whine from my vehicle, and even when someone drives within 25ft of me i get there ignition noise as well. As soon as they turn engine off the noise stops.

ANY trades for a 2950dx(black screen) LOL

AMEN TO THAT! ive got ignition noise and alt whine from my vehicle, and even when someone drives within 25ft of me i get there ignition noise as well. As soon as they turn engine off the noise stops.

ANY trades for a 2950dx(black screen) LOL

Yep.Yep.Yep...My Stryker 447 does that too...Worst radio I have had too as for as bleed over go's...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.