• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

oooohSooooNew

stevesm

May 2, 2010
My cobra 29 "broke" So I bought a connex 4300. That opened a whole new can of worms for me. I am currently studying and I'm scheduled to take the tech test on the 15th. There is so much I don't know about what is needed and what is excess. Any pointers, tips, questions I should be asking? My eyes are almost bleeding from the amount of research I've tried to do on the net, ANY help would be appreciated:headbang

I don't understand the question, or was there one?

The tech test is extremely easy, you will do fine.

you're right there wasn't really a question asked. there is so much I don't know. Is the rig I'm using good enough to venture into sideband? Am i using the right terms?Is ssb the reason I need a liscence or is it the output power?

I wouldn't call the test 'easy'; that is relative. Study until you get 90% or better on the practice exams on QRZ. I did; and got 100% on the actual test. The Tech test might be easy for a General or Extra Ham that has experience; but if you are starting from scratch it looks like all uphill. It did for me, even before I passed my General.

BTW - some Hams take offense in 'Connex' radios; or any radio that is considered a 'export radio'. Be forewarned! So, you might not want to bring that up - or they may chew you a new one - if you know what I mean. I have no problems with these radios. Just don't interfere with any neighbors when using it. If you do, fix the problems asap! Use only as much power as you need to make contact = sensible rule. I use my exports on SSB; seldom on AM mode. Should be fine for that.

the 4300 is not a side band capable radio . its an export and it will transmit on frequencys outside of the cb band and with more power than legaly allowed on cb . the power is a non issue on the cb channels in the real world . on the extra channels you need a ham ticket to legaly talk on them and its illegal for liscensed hams to talk to unliscensed operators on ham frequencys except to tell them its illegal to talk without a liscense . so without a liscense youll only have conversations with other unliscensed operators outside of the cb band . that can make some hams very irate and some make make every effort to block your conversations/transmissions .

im not a ham and im not a fan of exports . i am interested in the rci 2950dx though , and if i got a export the 2950dx would be what id want to get .

If that radio is not a SSB radio; then you cannot use it on 10 meters. 10 meters is strictly USB/SSB between 28.300 to 28.500mhz for the Tech license. FM/FM repeaters is used on 29.600mhz and above.

As BootyMon said, an RCI 2950 or 2970, a Magnum 257 or OmegaForce S-45 will all work very well on SSB and on 10m. Some Hams don't like them nor approve - so they will tell you. But the same Hams will give 'flowers' when they talk to you. That has been my experience - anyway...

the 4300 is not a side band capable radio . its an export and it will transmit on frequencys outside of the cb band and with more power than legaly allowed on cb . the power is a non issue on the cb channels in the real world . on the extra channels you need a ham ticket to legaly talk on them and its illegal for liscensed hams to talk to unliscensed operators on ham frequencys except to tell them its illegal to talk without a liscense . so without a liscense youll only have conversations with other unliscensed operators outside of the cb band . that can make some hams very irate and some make make every effort to block your conversations/transmissions .

im not a ham and im not a fan of exports . i am interested in the rci 2950dx though , and if i got a export the 2950dx would be what id want to get .

What does the term export mean? I'm not using the other frequencies yet, That's why I'm studying for the test. Since the other "frequencies" on this radio arent side band what are they? Thanks for the responses as I am sincere in my search for knowledge

your connex will cover the following frequencies as is out of the box 28.065 to 28.505, as you learned this is not useful as the radio only has am and
fmmodes of transmitting. on the ten meter amatureband (us) frequenciesof 28.000-28.300 are only allowed to use cw (continuouswave or morsecode). frequencies of 28.300-28.500 are used for single sideband ( upper side band will be used on 10m).

your radio does not have ssb (single side band) mode of operation so its cannot be used. the frequencies the entry level or technician ham licence will cover. you will need to upgrade your licence to a general or extra class to take advantage of your radio on 10m (general or extra class operators can use between 28.000-29.700). am mode is common between 29.000-29.200 where fm mode is common around 29.510-29.700. simplex operation is generally only used on 29.600. (simplex is direct transmission and receiving on a common frequency, duplex would be repeater use where input and output frequencies are split. something your connex cannot do. a rci 2950dx with a tone board would be able to however.

if you modify it for expanded or export frequency it will cover from 25.615 -28.305. covering the cb band. you now see why these are not 10m radios in the us and why they can be classified as illegal. they cannot operate legally regardless of the operators intentions. (at least in the us)

your connex will cover the following frequencies as is out of the box 28.065 to 28.505, as you learned this is not useful as the radio only has am and
fmmodes of transmitting. on the ten meter amatureband (us) frequenciesof 28.000-28.300 are only allowed to use cw (continuouswave or morsecode). frequencies of 28.300-28.500 are used for single sideband ( upper side band will be used on 10m).

your radio does not have ssb (single side band) mode of operation so its cannot be used. the frequencies the entry level or technician ham licence will cover. you will need to upgrade your licence to a general or extra class to take advantage of your radio on 10m (general or extra class operators can use between 28.000-29.700). am mode is common between 29.000-29.200 where fm mode is common around 29.510-29.700. simplex operation is generally only used on 29.600. (simplex is direct transmission and receiving on a common frequency, duplex would be repeater use where input and output frequencies are split. something your connex cannot do. a rci 2950dx with a tone board would be able to however.

if you modify it for expanded or export frequency it will cover from 25.615 -28.305. covering the cb band. you now see why these are not 10m radios in the us and why they can be classified as illegal. they cannot operate legally regardless of the operators intentions. (at least in the us)

Thank you for the facts. That stinks but i should have done more research first:thumbdown: Well I'm intrigued now so after I complete my test I'll have a reason to buy A radio for my intended use.

most technition class operators just use 2m fm handitalks. there cheap, you can find a used ranger/rci 2950 for anywhere between $50-$100 for the older orange faced models. they are nice as they not only cover all of the 10m frequencies your licence will work but they will also work as a cb if you want.

i seen several in the $50-$60 range yesterday at the swap i went to. you should be able to find one without to much trouble. if your willing to spend a little more a rci 2970 would be a great little radio. it will put out around 150w so it will work better for working dx and also stay within the limits of you licence, honestly you could run 1500w as long as you didnt bother or tell anyone.

Don't feel bad. You can either trade that Connex for a nice SSB radio like a 2950dx, or just keep it as a CB, after converting it of course. It will make a fine CB for you---just not a very good Ham 10 meter set.

Keep studying and ask as many questions here on the forum, you'll get up to speed pretty quick.

As far as a first ham radio for you, you might consider saving up for a used Yaesu FT-857d or Icom 706mkII. These are both all band, all mode "ham-radio-in-a-box" type rigs. Youll have 10 meter SSB and 2 meter and 70cm all mode right off the bat for your new Tech license. Then when you upgrade to General, you'll have the rest of HF and 6 meters waiting for you!

EDIT--Let me correct myself--you don't have to wait for 6 meters. You'll have access to that with your Tech, along with the other bands I mentioned. :)

Last edited:
Everyone has been informative. Thanks. and thanks for not blistering the new guy. My goal is to continue to achieve my liscence and advance. My equipment goal is something that combines Ham and cb as I am in the truck 80% of my time. Combining the two was my intent. Now I just have more research to do till I can save the funds for the appropriate equipment. If I had researched more My 400.00 would be available for a ric2970 or something similar. Thanks again

Thanks Quicksilver, I will look into those as well. on a side note, can I go directly to the General test or do I have to go tech and then general to get my liscence?

BTW my dad( in the 70's) always ended a conversation with "this is KAFX7515 on the side" Funny how the call signs have changed through the years.

Thanks Quicksilver, I will look into those as well. on a side note, can I go directly to the General test or do I have to go tech and then general to get my license?

BTW my dad( in the 70's) always ended a conversation with "this is KAFX7515 on the side" Funny how the call signs have changed through the years.
When you take the Tech test and finish/hand it in, they will ask you if you want to take the General while they grade everybody's papers. You can take the General test if you want.

Sounds like your Dad used his CB radio callsign...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1