• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Open air coil vhf antenna

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
What’s the point of the coil? I can’t see where it’s changed the vertical length and it’s not a loading coil. So what is it?
IMG_1498.png

It is a center-loaded antenna. At VHF, a little coil can do a lot (esp. to the takeoff angle). When an antenna needs some inductance, I believe the inductance always "models better" the higher it is used in the antenna element as current (the thing that does the radiating) tapers off above a coil quickly. If you need a coil, the bottom is the most convenient, but the worst (with respect to efficiency), spot to put it. The middle of the antenna is a tradeoff between radiation efficiency and wind loading. The top would be absolute terror for the magnet mount and the driver of the car behind you.

Whether the coil was for matching or to simply make it look more sophisticated is hard to say from a picture, but one way or another, it is a coil and the RF definitely sees it. I used to run small NMO trunk mount antennas on VHF and the ones with the center coil (that were a couple inches shorter, but probably using the same amount of material) were very different in takeoff angle. The shorter ones with the center coil are definitely better in low areas where there are repeaters up on high hills compared to a straight quarter wave with no loading coil at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.