• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinion of ARRL

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
What are some of your opinions of ARRL ? Join, don't join ? Beneficial to Hams, not so beneficial ? I have read a lot of pros and cons on Ham sites. What are your opinions ?

I'm a member and feel that it is a good deal. The QST mag is worth the price, alone. There is no one else out there that will speak up for US Amateurs. I do not agree with everything that they propose, but they do answer their mail, when I send an opinion.

Rich

ARRL MEMBERSHIP

i DONT ALWAYS AGREE WITH THEM-BUT THEY REPRESENT THE AMATEUR COMMUNITY IN THE USA-AND THEY DO ANSWER QUESTIONS-AND QST IS A SO SO MAG-IVE BEEN A LIFE MEMBER FOR I GUESS 20 YRS .I WISH THEY WOULD HAVE MORE BASIC PROJECTS FOR THE BEGINNER.AND THEY ALWAYS WANT A DONATION-WHAE I GET A LETTER FROM THEM I DONT BOTHER TO OPEN ITGOES IN THE FURNACE.OVER ALL I SAY JOIN.
K8PG-PAUL-CW LIVES :D

I have said before that the ARRL is much like the NRA.
It is a lobby group for a group of people that share a common interest, yet is far too political to serve the common interest of those it represents.

That doesn't mean that one shouldn't join, but don't expect the ARRL to do what you want them to all the time.

For now, I do not intent to become a member of ARRL, just as I have let my membership in the NRA lapse. I need my donation to my household fund more than the ARRL needs my donation.
If an issue arises that really affects us, such as the potential loss of a band or bands, then I might get on board.
:)

my sentiments too 8412, but I have yet to join.

They have done some things that have really put a bur in my side, so I'm still a bit mixed on the idea.

I'm a member and feel they do there best......they have there opinion, i have mine.......i might not always agree with ARRL but i do support them. And like someone eles mentioned the QST magazine and repeater directory is worth the price alone.

The ARRL has changed over the years. First joined in 1966, nice group to belong to, good magazine, reasonable cost. Was in and out over the years, school, married, work, etc. Several years ago had problems with interference and neighbors, wound up in court, twice. Absolutely no help from the ARRL (no matter what they advertise!). Gave free suggestions but no practical help. Couldn't even recommend an attorney. Found out that I wasn't the only one who had that happen to them and for the same reason. So, I'm of the opinion that they just don't live up to their own advertising (or opimion of themselves), and I'm not a member. Don't think I ever will be again.
I don't think there's any reason to boubt that they've done some very good things for amateur radio. Unfortunately, I don't think they've done anything recently. Seems they've changed from a helpful fraternal organization to a commecial one. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.
- 'Doc

PS - Oh, I beat the interference thingy, by the way.

Hamin' X said:
I'm a member and feel that it is a good deal. The QST mag is worth the price, alone. There is no one else out there that will speak up for US Amateurs. I do not agree with everything that they propose, but they do answer their mail, when I send an opinion.

Rich

Agreed, the mag is worth the price alone, but they're to radio op's as the NRA is to hunters, you need someone fighting the FCC, BPL, etc. for us all.

The ARRL is like a lot of AROs, in that they are still hung in 1956 on a lot of issues. There needs to be a modernization of the whole system in the way of thinking about amateur radio. The ARRL has a lot to loose if code is dropped ( profits that are made by the sell of code related items ) and the folks that run the show are more interested in their jobs than the future of radio, which doesn't do much for forward thinking. Things have to change it's not 1956 anymore and ham does not fill the niche it once did, the folks at the ARRL need to realize this. One other thing is the complete and total lack of respect or help or whatever you want to call it, for the CB crowd, the ARRL does itself a great injustice in keeping the war going

ARRL-?????

As I see it the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ARRL$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ DID NOT HAVE AN OPINION ON CW ONEWAY OR THE OTHER!They are interested in the # of members and how many ssb rigs are sold by various co.They sold out amateur radio to the electronics industry,it matters not if you are a cb operator or a ham,in the long run its all SCREWED UP-Like Johnny C.always said justice is GREEN and BLIND,THE same GOES for politics.Ive been a life member 30 odd yrs and seen it coming in the 80s,I look at it that its better than no one doing anything,All Ive ever got back was a negative reply from them when ive asked WHY AND HOW COME!When folks like W1FB,W4KFC AND THE LIKE were running some things at the arrl it was something that was a great asset to use all.Every month I get a letter asking for a donation,right! The Greatlakes director loves to argue,iam done with all these pencil neck geeks in the great state of MI untill I can vote Them OUT
DE-K8PG-PAUL CW LIVES :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.