• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions are like............. Everyone has one

hayseed

May 7, 2012
However, What is the BEST mobile antenna money can buy?
Running a 2970N2 and want to get a Great antenna, not just a good one.
Lets hear your opinions please.............

The "1/4 wave" vertical ...approximently 2,7 meters long...would be the one to beat I guess.

It is for sure not a money thing.

Since you are not using a large amount of power roughly your "rules" are:

1- Go for the longest one you can handle.
2- If your antenna is "relative" short, go for the antenna which has the coil at the highest point.
3- If you still have antennas which are "equal" go for the one who can handle the largest amount of power.

Kind regards,

Henry 19SD348

Reactions: 1 person
I know you guys are gonna LOL at me but i run a Firestick II top loaded antenna. $20.00 from the truck stop but it works better than pretty much all the other antennas ive used aside from my 102" whip..

Proper length quarter wave whip bolted to your roof. Make sure that none of your connectors or studs are chromed, chrome is the bane of many antennas. Also for best possible results check it with an antenna analyzer for resonance, or if you can't do it yourself get a knowledgeable friend or pay a reputable cb shop to do it. This last step will change an overall good antenna setup to a great setup.

Everything else is a compromise, however, to minimize the compromise use as long of an antenna as you can mounted as high as you can.

All this is of course assuming that your looking for an omnidirectional or near omnidirectional antenna setup.

The DB

Reactions: 1 person
guess more info would help
2010 Chevy Truck

Limited to mounting on top of toolbox in bed of truck (company work truck)

Don't like the the MM or Preditor style. Have Wilson 5000 mounted to toolbox now. It seems to be doing great. Mobile to Mobile 5-20 miles any day and we all know how dx works.

Just looking to see if there is a better one out there. Can't go with a 102" either.

Thanks for the responses.

guess more info would help
2010 Chevy Truck

Limited to mounting on top of toolbox in bed of truck (company work truck)

Don't like the the MM or Preditor style. Have Wilson 5000 mounted to toolbox now. It seems to be doing great. Mobile to Mobile 5-20 miles any day and we all know how dx works.

Just looking to see if there is a better one out there. Can't go with a 102" either.

Thanks for the responses.
Move your Wilson to the middle of the roof, don't get much better.

Reactions: 3 people
2- If your antenna is "relative" short, go for the antenna which has the coil at the highest point.

wanted to try that myself awhile back. it is apposd to have a higher "Q" than the base loaded antennas.

Move your Wilson to the middle of the roof, don't get much better.

this should improve your rx and tx.

as to your current location, sometimes tool boxes are not bonded sufficiently well to the bed of the truck and like wise the bed of the truck to the frame to provide a good ground plane. but if its doing what u need....

also the coil of the antenna as well as a good portion of the whip is below the cab and decreasing the efficiency at this location.

i agree with mack, a simple relocate will help alot. the wilson 5k has been a very good antenna for me for about 4 years.

if mounting on top is not an option, then as previously mentioned a center or top loaded antenna may improve performance...i would add to the list a 6 foot skipshooter antenna to the list if they still around, making sure the toolbox is bonded to the bed of truck and bed to frame.

best of luck, others will be around,,,,

grounded

I have the toolbox grounded to the frame as well as the toolbox "lid". The bed,cab,doors, hood all grounded to the frame.

No complaints with the Wilson, just checking to see if I can improve.

Mounting to the top of the cab isn't an option (work truck)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.