• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

opinions on which radio would be better for...

9Lives

Oct 3, 2012
Hi, I've been using mobile radios ssb for a while now from my truck. I'm kind of tired of running out to the truck to check for conditions + the fact that my mobile antenna is compromised compared to what I could do w a base. For a while I've been looking at the galaxy 2457 bc it is similar to what I'm use to.

But.. I've been reading reviews on magnums omegaforce and 247 and now I'm having trouble picking which would be best for me. I don't use am very much but I like to have good modulating am for when I do. I don't care much for all the echo and crap.
The 247 uses surface mount components. This is -several points to me unless the radio truly needs no mods (insert opinions here).
I've read that the omegaforce has some sort of modulation technique in ssb? I don't understand? The schematic looks very similar to galaxy in the modulation section.I really over looked the omegaforce bc of all the bells and whistles until I read robbs review.
The galaxy.. I know what to do to it.
Btw running dc is no big deal so..

i don't have any of the radios you mentioned ....... but ........

the original 257's and omega force radios seem to have great audio and receive . the initial runs of the HP versions were great also , but last years versions had issues and some folks never got theirs to work right . i dunno how the latest versions of their HP's (high powered versions of the 257 and 45) are/will do .

Galaxy DX 2547 Review

CB World Informer July 2001 Web Edition.

i'd prefer a good condition old cobra/uniden/president or browning/tram etc. if you want a full size base CB radio . stick a turner +3 or a 2018 xtreme mic on it (y)

Reactions: 1 person
Consider a used HR2510 with recap and all the fixins' you will be one happy camper. he original RCI 2950 is not a very good bargin, as people generally want too much coin for one. However the original RCI 2970 can usually be had for a slight amount more than the 2950... making it a good bargin. A good working magnum 257, or 257hp would not be a bad deal either, esp if you can physically put your hands on it and test i before you buy it.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the opinions guys. If it helps, I'm also very close to getting my technician licence. I know none of these are really designed as ham radios.. but I'm looking for rock solid ssb. No dimming lights, no voltage dropping. I'm also looking for something I can fix myself if it ever goes downhill or needs upgrading. That's why I'm a lil scared of the 257. But like I said, I'm not sure how much am I'll be talking on a base. It mostly locals talking shit and radio checking. I HATE that. I get a strange amount of satisfaction out of making dx contacts. I'll probably be building a 4 pill class ab to go with what ever I chose.

The 257 isn't bad. The receive is excellent. Frequency expansion is super easy if that is what you are into. Puts out a lot of power on AM and SSB. I actually turned my AM pot down so I would only do around 50-55 watts peak when adjusted from full max from the front panel. Without that it was getting to a level that I was a little concerned with for long time power. Deadkey is now around 0-10 watts with 50 peak. SSB peaks around 60-70 I believe.

Booty, why do you perfer those radios? Bc bjt output? I wish I had a good bjt radio for the base I'm getting. I'm scared to buy a used radio man.. I have a matched pair of 1969 I'm dieing to use

I have an Omegaforce S45HP Phillipines made model and love it. This radio is trying to be my favorite, my 2950's are getting jealous...lol

Booty, why do you perfer those radios? Bc bjt output? I wish I had a good bjt radio for the base I'm getting. I'm scared to buy a used radio man.. I have a matched pair of 1969 I'm dieing to use

because the only new SSB cb radio made today that seems to be stable on TX is the uniden 980 but they don't seem to be expandable frequency wise and seems you want to go outside the normal 40 since you're looking at exports . the latest version of the 257HP/45HP may be wonderful like the first run or problematic like last years version . i haven't seen enough user comments on the latest version to know if they (IMO) have fixed them .

mr_fx had some good suggestions too . but i'll suggest sticking with a DX version of the 29xx radios if you go that route . and we both forgot the AR3500 ......

Hi, I've been using mobile radios ssb for a while now from my truck. I'm kind of tired of running out to the truck to check for conditions + the fact that my mobile antenna is compromised compared to what I could do w a base. For a while I've been looking at the galaxy 2457 bc it is similar to what I'm use to.

But.. I've been reading reviews on magnums omegaforce and 247 and now I'm having trouble picking which would be best for me. I don't use am very much but I like to have good modulating am for when I do. I don't care much for all the echo and crap.
The 247 uses surface mount components. This is -several points to me unless the radio truly needs no mods (insert opinions here).
I've read that the omegaforce has some sort of modulation technique in ssb? I don't understand? The schematic looks very similar to galaxy in the modulation section.I really over looked the omegaforce bc of all the bells and whistles until I read robbs review.
The galaxy.. I know what to do to it.
Btw running dc is no big deal so..

I've been using a 2547 for about a year now. I love this thing and I've received nothing but excellent reports. Sure, the thing will drift a little on SSB before it's warmed up, but after 5 or 10 minutes it pretty much stops. I don't know anyone that's NOT happy with their 2547. My $0.03 (adjusted for inflation).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.