• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions Wanted on Road Devil Mic

My favorite hand mikes are:

1. Turner Road King preamplified: 7v jobbie; worked GREAT with old school tube rigs. Unfortunately, not very durable AND the 7V batteries didn't last too long in service. (They are also getting increasingly hard to find.)
2. Astatic 575-M6: worked GREAT with just about ALL cb radios out there & still using one on my RCI-2950DX with great success on AM/FM & SSB. Sorry they are no longer making these gems. Great cable, although prone to stretching over time/UV rays.
3. Astatic Road Devil: because they are BOTH preamplified AND noise cancelling, they work great in the mobile; pick up waaaaaay less background/road noise than D104M6's, are ergonomic, the batteries last a loooong time, and they are quite LOUD on virtually ANY radio. An added benefit is that because they use an electret condenser element, you can use them on low level audio amateur transceivers like Icoms and such IF you wire them correctly and are aware of the 8v from the radio (with modification, you can actually use it to drive your microphone.) Casing same ergonomics as the 575M6 (teardrop shape); same cable.
4. Turner +3: a talker, but plain Jane (even ugly) in the "looks" dept (but then again, so are Glock pistols.... and yet THEY TOO WORK, but I digress.) Trouble was, over time, they always seemed to 'yellow' with age.
5. Turner +2: I never could quite figure out all the subtle differences between the +2, +2U, +2JM, +2JM/U, etc..... while they were loud, seems like every one I ever had eventually cracked or broke off the PTT button.

So yes, I'd say the Road Devil is good to go; while there are folks who would favor a quality ceramic or dynamic mic, for the money, you get a lot of microphone with the Road Devil. Mine has been serving 'faithfully' since the late 90's without a glitch. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've had to change the battery in it in the past 15 or so years, and I've only had to spray the PTT with contact cleaner only once several years ago. Keeps on going strong for me.

Nope. I'm getting used to the red. The black grill compliments it. The road devil label is the one thing I would change in favor of a personalized label or transplant the one off of a 636L.
Bulldog Triple 7 took the guts out of a RD and transplanted it into a 636L case.

P.S. Of course I favor Ferrari red. :D

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/448818-painting-your-microphone.html

Something I didn't know: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...o-Products-RoadPro/_/R-TWR21542001_0132047341

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
That red color and the limited skills of the artist's drawing of a Devil was to much for me so now it is silver and the Devil's picture don't seem to stand out as much. And the keying switch gets awful scratchy..needs cleaning a lot. And it is a Road Devil seems I always refer to it as a Red Devil lol

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
That red color and the limited skills of the artist's drawing of a Devil was to much for me so now it is silver and the Devil's picture don't seem to stand out as much. And the keying switch gets awful scratchy..needs cleaning a lot. And it is a Road Devil seems I always refer to it as a Red Devil lol

What did you paint it with, hammer? And how is it holding up?

RT307

ive always liked the tuner mics the best especially the
+3 +3b with the built in speech compressor they sound great on ssb.

on am only rigs i think d104s sound about the best

on mobiles i got a varing opinion
for noise cancelling i like the rk 56 and st65dx
for added audio an bit of echeo [which i really dont use] i like the xtreame 2018
ive tried the road devil and d104m6b and they worked ok . the road devil did cutout
SOME noise but its NOT a noise canselling mic. one mic i wish i could have tried was a k40
with built in speech compressor 4 the mobile

I have a K40 speech processor mic I bought new in the eighties but it needs a mic diaphragm. Several months ago I wired it for my 959 but the mic element parts crapped out. Later I found out if I would've just rewaxed the diaphragm/element connection point it would still be working. I still might fix it. I used to use it on my Radio Shack TRC-428 with the modulation resistors still in place. It would boost the audio but I couldn't run it's gain pot more than 3/4's or else the radio would squeal. I usually ran it with the hi/LO tone switch on low. Because it had a capacitor instead of a battery long keydowns didn't work as I would look down and see my modulation led wasn't showing any modulation. Short brief keydowns were okay but I learned that if I needed to talk longer I would briefly unkey and then key right back up to charge the capacitor. I did have the chance to compare it's audio volume to a 2018 Xtreme. The Xtreme is twice as loud and has better quality audio in my opinion. The K40 sounded compressed. Other than that it's a cool looking mic. I still have the stick on/screw on metal mic hanger for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 169
ive always liked the tuner mics the best especially the
+3 +3b with the built in speech compressor they sound great on ssb.

on am only rigs i think d104s sound about the best

on mobiles i got a varing opinion
for noise cancelling i like the rk 56 and st65dx
for added audio an bit of echeo [which i really dont use] i like the xtreame 2018
ive tried the road devil and d104m6b and they worked ok . the road devil did cutout
SOME noise but its NOT a noise canselling mic. one mic i wish i could have tried was a k40
with built in speech compressor 4 the mobile

There's a NOS/NIB K40 speech processor radio being bid on Ebay
And a very used K40 mic too

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.