• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Osaka K148

N

NorthStar34

These Radios were manufactured by Ranger. They imported them into the USA and sold them to H&Y/Copper I think only a few hundred were sold with that label. They are relabeled. I forget what label was on them originally.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=northstar34>NorthStar34</A> at: 8/27/04 1:24 am

Anyone had their nose inside one of the Osaka K148 radios? It is a malaysia made radio with a freq counter plug on the back. The board is marked as the epto14813z. Anyhoo I was told that this is the heavy board the original 148/XL was built on and that they are leftovers from Cobra? H&Y Electronics sold them briefly and info is scarce on them. Upon looking closer I removed the knobs and noticed there were 2 faceplates on it. It was killing me to chance ruining it but I pulled the top one off revealing a Cobre 148 faceplate? The same deal on the Mic. It does have an RCI8719 PLL in it and the componets are marked like the original 148's, transistors are marked TR rather than Q. I compared it to a TR296 and the board has heavier traces it seems and marked different. I'm tickled pink with it as I put an MB8719 in it, opened up the clarifier and aligned it. $119 bucks and it seems like an original to me. The PLL chip and the wires going to the freq plug had fresh looking shiney solder? So does anyone know the real deal on these radio's? Are they maybe Cobra defects that Osaka bought and refurbed? As before it's a great radio but I would really like to know the story on it. I will post some pic's if I can figure out how.

Rooster

</p>

I did some more research on these. A source tells me these were radios RCI had left after they quit making radios for Cobra. So they could be refurbs being relabeld quite easily.

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.