• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Otis T Fuddpucker

kopcicle

Feb 17, 2016
We had a few like Prime Minister around here. Signal was 4-6K wide, cut off was brick wall on both sides, and other than taking the life out of your receiver you wouldn't know they were on the air unless you were on their frequency.

I'm not going to give out a name, but the handle will be unmistakable to Western Washington 11m operators and residents.
Otis T. Fuddpucker out on the hog ranch, north fork of Notellem Creek.
"Otis" had an effect on the locals and across the country. His take was that energy outside of the passband was energy wasted. He maintained that if the receiving radio had an AM passband of barely 3K why in the world would you even consider 6, 8, 12K wide modulation? After a few decades of Otis cleaning up 11m while maintaining several in a series of commercial broadcast transmitters, while designing land mobile systems, while offering 11m "aids" of his own design to the unwashed masses, he finally got noticed.

Getting noticed in the radio world is a double edge sword. On one hand you have your commercial resume and on the other you have your GROL, formerly known as first phone, or general radiotelephone license.
Never being one to leave a market unserved, Otis decided to offer 2SC2879's and 2SC2290's in unusual packages. Unusual in that they had individual, temperature tracking bias and a 5 pole Chebyshev on the output. He preferred to marry the radio in question to the BJTs. His education was such that no gate or base ever saw more energy than it could linearly amplify. Around here it was all about fidelity or you weren't even acknowledged. So, the other edge of the sword is of course the federal clown commission. Otis had several near misses as well as documented run ins with the F.C.C. before finally going dark and no longer providing to the unwashed masses but just to family and close friends. Say what you want for or about someone that colored outside the lines. Otis was never so much craft as art.

Toward the end Otis passed on much of his technical experience if you were willing to do the homework.
He had little tolerance for fools or willful ignorance but would teach whenever, wherever, whomever he could. He managed to cram more than a few valuable lessons into my noggin as well as those of a few locals. We are somewhat less without his presence and certainly more for having known him.

Flame if you will I do not care. All you'll manage is to identify yourself for what you are.
We all came to amateur radio by individually different means. Part of my path was CB radio.
It's people like Otis that improved my mind, talent and practices.
Far from apologizing for my use/abuse of the CB band I'll continue to cite it as a valuable learning experience. I'm now far too old to give two cold dead toobs what you think so don't bother.

As for the rest of you it was my pleasure to introduce you to just a small piece of Otis T. Fuddpucker.

(155) 3000 Watt CB Linear Amplifier - YouTube

Funny how he claims the tube was a 3CX5000. That tube has handles on the top while the tube he shows in the amp in the video does not. NO they did not make two different versions.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.