• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Our New '67 Bug

KF6IRK

Kapt. Irk
Mar 2, 2013
So Cal
Some friends of ours, Aaron & Donna, are moving to Alabama. They were originally going to have their '67 bug ('Tomater') transported back there, but the cost was out of their budget, so last week, they decided to sell it. I helped Aaron rebuild the engine last year, so he asked if I might be interested in it.

67Bug.JPG

At first I said no, especially since I haven't been too active at my shop recently ... but my wife started thinking about it. We looked it over and started pricing what it would take to turn it into a nice DD for her (she says my Tundra is too big) :cry:

67Bug2.JPG

It runs well - what it really needs a lot of cosmetic work. The RR fender and rear apron need work (replaced) as well as some additional [minor] bodywork.

67Bug3.JPG

67Bug4.JPG

... and the interior needs some attention. Headliner, complete (full) carpet kit (we'll get Oatmeal) and a driver's seat re-upholstery kit for sure ... passenger seat and rear seat still look pretty good.

67Bug5.JPG

67Bugseat.JPG

67Bugseat2.JPG

I'll also be looking into upgrading the front brakes to discs (approx $400.) ;)

With about $1k +/- in upgrades, some clean up, a cheep $500. Maaco paint job, and new rubber seals, it should look pretty good (y)

If I feel like getting a little more industrious, I do have a couple 'spare' 95hp 912 engines handy :love:

68912616-1.jpg

Should upgrade the electrical to allow for a 100w two-way radio too ...

Last edited:

memories.
When I was just out of High School, I worked in a little V-Dub Shop.
Machine the cases, 92 MM cylinders, case savers,dual port heads, Twin Webers, Posi Transaxles....
That was the good old days.

10832d1376283240t-our-new-67-bug-68912616-1.jpg

Jeff

Yeah, buddy ... :w00t:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2gxfmcbwIm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.