• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Our prayers are with you all!

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
:arrow: This is going to be a very bad storm and i hope that all of those in the way have moved out of the area to some place safe.I work for a local company here in N.C. driving a dump truck and heavy equipment and we have already been in contact with FEMA.We were told to be on alert and be ready to go when called,we were told that that would sometime tuesday or early wensday to help with the cleanup.My thoughts and prayers are with you all in the affected areas.

The hurricane's landfall could still come in Mississippi and affect Alabama and Florida, but it looked likely to come ashore Monday morning on the southeastern Louisiana coast, said Ed Rappaport, deputy director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. That put New Orleans squarely in the crosshairs.

"If it came ashore with the intensity it has now and went to the New Orleans area, it would be the strongest we've had in recorded history there," Rappaport said in a telephone interview Sunday morning. "We're hoping of course there'll be a slight tapering off at least of the winds, but we can't plan on that. So whichever area gets hit, this is going to be a once in a lifetime event for them."

He said loss of life was "what inevitably occurs" with a storm this strong.

"We're in for some trouble here no matter what," he said.

At 8 a.m., Katrina's center was about 250 miles south-southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River, the hurricane center said. It was moving west-northwest at about 12 mph and a gradual turn toward the north-northwest was expected. Hurricane force-wind of at least 74 mph extended up to 85 miles from the center.

The storm had the potential for storm surge flooding of up to 25 feet, topped with even higher waves, as much as 15 inches of rain, and tornadoes.

Only three Category 5 hurricanes _ the highest on the Saffir-Simpson scale _ have hit the United States since record-keeping began. The last was 1992's Hurricane Andrew, which leveled parts of South Florida, killed 43 people and caused $31 billion in damage. The other two were the 1935 Labor Day hurricane that hit the Florida Keys and killed 600 people and Hurricane Camille, which devastated the Mississippi coast in 1969, killing 256.

New Orleans is especially vulnerable because it sits below sea level, and needs levees and pumps to keep out water.

New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin was exploring the idea of ordering a mandatory evacuation.

more- http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/28/D8C8RQ2O0.html

thoughts and prayers go out to the people in the way of the storm. That is one good reason for living in Nebraska. No tropical storms but tornados do form around here. have seen 3 of them so far!

UPDATE.....We have been ready for the last week to go but now that fuel is in such short supply im not sure that we will be going!We found out from someone midweek that there would be a shortage and used every empy can,drum we could find to put fuel in before there was none to be found.Now there are very few stations that have gas little on desiel so im not sure if we will go or not.I have a friend who drives a truck and has been running supplys to the affected areas for the last few days.He says that if you can find fuel its well over $3 a gallon and most of the time you have to wait for over an hour to get it.Since we will be closer to the worst hit areas i dont even know if we can find it.

WE ARE ALL ready to go and we will say down there as long as it takes but FEMA needs get tankers full of fuel for thoses trucks and equipment to do there jobs down.But then again i guess that for right now they are more worried about getting people out of there first,then the clean up can comence.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.