• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

output coil tuning process

9Lives

Oct 3, 2012
I notice in some of my radios the coils are slightly different and the caps are not consistent with schematic value. Is this an error on the manufacturer, or so they adjust these according to the radio. I would like to learn how to improve these circuits.

A lot of things can affect the tuning of an output/tank circuit. Small discrepancies in part values is one of them so some means of making adjustments for those variations is provided. That's pretty normal. Typically, the designers/manufacturers optimize things as much as possible and then 'tune' out any differences. Those circuits are pretty much about as good as they get. You might be able to make some slight differences with particular circuits, but generally not anything huge at all. Something to keep in mind is that to do any 'optimizing' you have to have the appropriate equipment. That sort of equipment is not common and it is not cheap.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

I wouldn't second guess the engineers who designed this radio at this point.

It might have been either modified or be the newer version and has a new schematic that will correspond to it.

What year, brand, and model is it?

Last edited:
Galaxy dx 959 not sure exactly the year but it has the mosfets. I went through the output section and regulator section and replace resistors to 1/4 watt and 1/2 watt and mica caps. As I was replacing this section I noticed c201 560pf used 390pf. I didn't have any in that value so I replaced with the 560. No difference on scope, but if you think I need to ill put the 390 back in

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.