• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

over volting

AA1QD

May 2, 2005
www.ranv.org
In the event a radio received to much voltage, like a regulator went bad, and had 19-20 volts put to it, what would be damaged inside the radio?

Hahaha, love that reply Robb!
Your question is kinda vague so you get a vague answer. Depends on what kind of radio it is, as circuitry designs are different.
Cutting to the short and skinny answer.... find an appropriate nickname for the radio, like "Ole' Smokey" or "Cheech & Chong". (Up in Smoke reference)

In the event a radio received to much voltage, like a regulator went bad, and had 19-20 volts put to it, what would be damaged inside the radio?

Everthing that was damaged by the over volting will be damaged :)

Looking at your call(unless the FCC changed something) you're an Extra Class ham...start checking components starting with the protection diode. Let us know what was fried.

Had a chance to think about this question a little bit . . .

The LED channel display and/or if there is a LED freq counter - they could well be victims - for one. They have a specific operating voltage and don't take kindly to more voltage.

Another guess would be the radio's voltage regulator.
AS one post said above, depends on the model/brand of radio . . .

Last edited:
If it still works count yourself luck and do not worry about. just do not let it happen again. You may not be so lucky. If it does not work now then take your pick of components. Transistors and chips could be damaged as well as electrolytic capacitors. Working on a radio like that is NOT something I would want to do and I used to work on commercial gear for a living so I know what I am doing around electronics.

Sorry I guess I should have explained better. I have never had this radio in front of me, I have only talked to the owner who had the power supply issue. It is a Magnum S9, the radio still powers up, no TX or RX. The fellow told me he went as far as replacing the finals. I was looking for some ideas as to what may have got whacked, maybe even buy the radio to repair.

If no TX/RX; then the PLL circuit is my first suspect here. Not an easy place to troubleshoot. It is a loop/series circuit. If one link in that chain has failed, the entire PLL won't lock. No lock; no stable freq. Which would account for no RX as well as TX. Just a guess with some experience . . .

If the finals were blown it would not affect the RX. I have seen a lot of people ask if the finals could be bad when they have no TX or RX. Like Robb said it could be the PLL but it could also be as simple as a switching transistor keeping the radio in limbo by not engaging the TX function while at the same time not releasing it from RX. It could also be a mixer chip. Some are used for both RX and TX mixing schemes. Over volted radios and radios hit by lightning are something to avoid IMHO.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.