• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Painted Antenna

barefootindian

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2012
Leinster Ireland
Hi can anyone tell me if I paint a Sirio Gainmaster, would it make any difference to the tx/rx of the antenna. I wish to do this so that it blends in with the surrounding landscape. Thanks Folks

Only some paints contain metal based pigments. The Krylon Fusion for Plastic paints are fine for antennas. I've use their camouflage colors to paint a couple fiberglass verticals. No metals in the pigments.

Only some paints contain metal based pigments. The Krylon Fusion for Plastic paints are fine for antennas. I've use their camouflage colors to paint a couple fiberglass verticals. No metals in the pigments.

You might get away with painting an A99 or a Big Stick. But remember, that a Gain Master is a dipole inside; not just a simple radiator like the vertical on an A99 is.

I wouldn't paint that Sirio Gain Master; might be a mistake that you couldn't take back - IMO . . .

Yes, your can paint your antenna. I would keep the paint off of the insulators incase it happens to be conductive. Won't make any difference on the metal radiating parts of the antenna. The color pink works very well for antennas! Embarrasses the electrons being emitted so that they leave faster, you know?
- 'Doc

Ironically I was just thinking a few hours ago about painting my fiberglass Imax 2000 with that Flexseal stuff I see on TV. I want to use the Imax as a take along portable when I go places camping ETC but know first hand what this fiberglass feels like in your skin after handling an older antenna such as the Antron 99.

I figured that rubber stuff would be great considering its weather proof. I am wondering if there is anything I can get in a local store in my area like this rubber flexseal I see on TV so I dont have to order the stuff through the mail.

there is plastidip, but i don't know if it has metal in it...

on the other hand why not just use wax and or fiberglass suitable uv protectant

Thanks Y'all for the inputs. I was considering using a water based emulsion or a plastic based paint like acrylic. I was aware that a paint containing metal would be detrimental to the performance of the Gainmaster. I had even toyed with the idea of using gaffa tape (Gorilla Tape) but didn't know if this on its own would have any adverse effect on the tx/rx performance. I may just go with the acrylic paint as it drys to a plastic finish as far as I know. I find that wearing gloves is a must when handling this antenna as the Fiberglass leaves tiny shreds that get into my hands which are uncomfortable to say the least. I like this site because whenever I ask a question I've always got good advice and good suggestions from some VERY experienced people who all combined have a Vast Wealth of Knowledge and are prepared to share the know-how and how-to of getting things done. Yis are all alright in my book. Thanks very much Y'all.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks Y'all for the inputs. I was considering using a water based emulsion or a plastic based paint like acrylic. I was aware that a paint containing metal would be detrimental to the performance of the Gainmaster. I had even toyed with the idea of using gaffa tape (Gorilla Tape) but didn't know if this on its own would have any adverse effect on the tx/rx performance. I may just go with the acrylic paint as it drys to a plastic finish as far as I know. I find that wearing gloves is a must when handling this antenna as the Fiberglass leaves tiny shreds that get into my hands which are uncomfortable to say the least. I like this site because whenever I ask a question I've always got good advice and good suggestions from some VERY experienced people who all combined have a Vast Wealth of Knowledge and are prepared to share the know-how and how-to of getting things done. Yis are all alright in my book. Thanks very much Y'all.

I had not heard anyone else mention the fiberglass problem before on the GM. So paint may very well be the best solution for this...others will chime in,,,

But let me digress a little bit. Back around 1980 i bought a Radio Shack 1/2 wave figerglass antenna and I always waxed it once a year with regular wax or boat wax. After 20 years of this, I let up on the maintenance and let the elements pretty much destroy it. Did not take long it was either 2000 or 2001 when 40-50 mile hour winds snapped it.

Your mileage may vary.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?