• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 225 keeps blowing fuses when power leads are hooked up

So whatever happened? You get your radio going?

No. Unfortunately I haven't had much time lately to mess with the amp or the radio it destroyed. I have another amp and radio that I got from the same guy that work ok so I've been using them. The guy did initially tell me if I couldn't get the amp to work to email him and he'd refund me. Well i did that 2 days ago and have yet to hear from him. Probably won't either. I don't expect him to pay up.

Thanks for the offer. I've just decided to cut my losses for now. I would fix it if I had the time. But if someone wants to send me $40 I'd ship it to them as long as they lived somewhere in the lower 48 states.

They arrived today and I fixed the radio in about 30 minutes, the output transistor was shorted, found one leg disconnected then soldered it back powered it up smoke flew from the protection diode which told me the transistor was shorted so I pulled it and checked, sure enough the base,emitter and collector all short to ground, replaced and walla.

Maybe check the amp out tomorrow.

They arrived today and I fixed the radio in about 30 minutes, the output transistor was shorted, found one leg disconnected then soldered it back powered it up smoke flew from the protection diode which told me the transistor was shorted so I pulled it and checked, sure enough the base,emitter and collector all short to ground, replaced and walla.

Maybe check the amp out tomorrow.

Not being a smart ass but if you would've read the rest of this thread we had already came to the conclusion that the final was blown...

Not being a smart ass but if you would've read the rest of this thread we had already came to the conclusion that the final was blown...

Seems like I made the first post in this thread mentioning that, not to be a smart ass I forgot to mention that I found no shoulder washer on the screw that attaches the C2078 final transistor to it's heatsink but I'm not saying that caused the final to go short but who ever worked on the radio forgot to put it back while the had the final out.:blink:

Anyway all I had was a 2166 to replace it with but it works fine, keys 3.5 watts and 16 watts pep.(y)

I was under the impression the final in that radio was the factory one. I only unsoldered the middle leg during troubleshooting to verify the damaged final.

As a matter of fact the radio was bone stock when i got it, according to the seller I bought it from, and even "sounded" like a stock radio, when I keyed up for my first radio check...had the radio hooked directly to my base station Shakespeare antenna and used my battery charger as the power supply. :LOL::LOL:

I was under the impression the final in that radio was the factory one. I only unsoldered the middle leg during troubleshooting to verify the damaged final.

As a matter of fact the radio was bone stock when i got it, according to the seller I bought it from, and even "sounded" like a stock radio, when I keyed up for my first radio check...had the radio hooked directly to my base station Shakespeare antenna and used my battery charger as the power supply. :LOL::LOL:

Yeah that radio could not possible transmit with that screw grounding the base of the transistor.

Had my son listen on his mobile and he could barely hear me out front of my house so I pulled the transistor and it was short on all 3 ports so a new final and a shoulder washer and jobs a goodun.

The amp works but I will check the issue of it opening the protection diode.

Diode was a dead short, replaced and all is well as it held.

Amp with a 3.5 watt carrier puts out 80 pep in the low position and 150 in the high position.

Well congrats on the amp working. Truth be told right after I undid the diode, is when I hooked it to that Cobra. First thing I keyed up, the needle on the meter fluctuated back and forth, the guy up the street who heard me said it sounded like I was talking morse code.

I figured there was a second malfunction in the amp that damaged the radio. I sure wasn't going to try frying another radio with it. Although I wished I would have used my Midland 77-155 as the mule instead. :headbang

Before hooking the Palomar to the Cobra, the radio itself worked fine barefoot. I never changed the finals in it. As said as far as I know it was the same final it left the factory with.

So if the amp was ok short of a shorted diode, then I still don't understand how is it the radio lost a final....?

Also Mackmobile what kind of meter did you use to get your readings?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.