• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 250 with 2 2SC2290

TonyV225 said:
can this be driven with 20 watts sideband?? or is it best and safest at 10-12 watts sideband drive??

Most cb AM/SSB radios will do around 20 watt pep on SSB ,those amps will handle that just fine with my experiance , IM sure 10 to 12 watt pep would work fine with less drive on any amp on SSB ,I would certainly think it would be a little less stress on the box that in return might give it a little bit more longavaty.....IM sure the numbers would be some what lower but more then likely not enough for the guy to notice on the receiving end ? If that were the case ,I would think amp builders would start telling the truth about what there amps truly do (-: 2290s are rated at 80 watts a piece X 2 = 160 watts .....I suppose RMS is one thing and PEP is another how much we or they drive them seems to come into the equasion somehow. Fair enough question Tony. Reminds me of the dreaded by many Swing Kit mods in radios , lets say I use one doing 1 to 3 to 20 on the AM side of 2 x 2290s .....(depending on the box as well) good chance I might see a 40 to 60 watt DK with a 250 watt pep swing ...or lets say I do a 2 to 8 watt pep swing (that's usually what you would get at 100% modulation) The DK's will still be there but the swing will more then likely go down about a 100 watts pep or so from that 250 .....so like I said before , I would surely think that what the machines say would even be a whole lot less stress on these boxes in the long run. Maybe DTB will chime in ? I've seemed to read in many of his past post about this.

There yah go Tony , SSB I've noticed over the years really likes to drive amps ....the more one talks the more she seems to draw (-: I'vee been doing some experimenting on SSB of late , more so then ever before (that's because IM 90% AM only over the years ) IM no expert for sure , but SSB seems to draw more then AM , I can surely heat up my 450 Cobra XL a lot quicker then on my AM side on the high side ...Hmmmm and that's with a 20 watt whisling drive (it does far less with the talkie talkie) but the wonderful part about that is ,I really don't even have to turn my amp on when IM 20 miles away from my target on sideband , The low side of that amp seems to be all I really need to talk 50 miles without any problems to my given target (but I'll still pump it up a little more then that,it has 4 gears) and IM just talking off a Wilson 5000 roof mount in my motor car. You know what Tony , I'd bet to say if most amps were run according to the machines and one had the best SWR's on there antenna's . I truly doubt any of those transistorized amps would ever need fans on them , hell !!! they put them on fairly good sized heat sinks to begin with.(over drive and more over drive ,IM GUILTY IM GUILTY !! (-: ) After 2 years of hearing the pros and cons of all of this stuff and being a cb radio operator for 20 years , IM truly beginning to hear where these guys with there fancy machines are coming from (-: and what these little falsafied modifictions are truly doing, only making one think that there doing so much better, when in reality, there not )-: I think I might be starting to scratch the surface of whats really going on with all of this stuff and how it works for the better .......I mean face it ...isn't that what we really want in the first place ? .....I'd be lying if I said I wasn't stubborn (-: ....just figures one more time in life that ole Switch Kit can be his own worse enemy.I suppose the day i lose my Swing kit / NPC mods will be the day that I truly came to believe !! Hellaluyah !!! (-: Peace

Ok thanks guys I picked up this amp for a friend and had to set his Cobra 2000 up for the amp and thought that 12 watts would be best and give me less worries about something goin wrong for him. 2290s are a heft sturdy transistor but as switch said the little p[ower loss that would result in a 12 watt input verses the 20 watt one on the recieving end really would notice and the amp would last a long long time and run alot cooler that wayI set him at 2 watts am dead key which is where i set all radios and 12 sideband. I run 20 into my Texas star 400 and 500 but i also have them cooled with a fan and no to watch for excessive heat or other problems

I meant one wouldnt notice that little bit of power drop ugh sorry about that dandy typing skills that I have LMA :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.