• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 300A refresh. Assume nothing.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
The forum software allows only 20 images per post. This one will get split up.

The Palomar 300A gets older every year. Hasn't been made since 1978 or '79. But the customer says he wants it fixed, and he'll come up with the tubes. That's the magic combination for us, so he got his wish.

But not without a bump or two along the way. First rule of the Palomar 300A:

Assume nothing.

This one has the plug-in circuit board with three discontinued relays on it. Wasn't that big a problem, since I located a source for the R10-E3604 RF relay. The pins are in a pattern not like any other cradle relay of this size. It has a grounded metal shield between the contact array and the coil. That's a good thing for a RF circuit. But not so much for the poor schmuck who needs to buy them. Far as I know, it hasn't been made in decades. Lucked out and found a few. Always a good idea to clean the contacts on old-stock relays. Just a strip of copy paper and 99% isopropyl. This is a preventative measure, but worth the small effort before soldering them into the pc board. We replaced only the two outside relays on the board. The center one is the receiver preamp. Left that out of this repair.

T0Cifl.jpg

If you're going to skip the preamp it needs to be bypassed. All it takes is a solder bridge across two adjacent foil traces. If you find the two sets of three pads on the missing center relay, follow the trace leading from the center pad of the three. This will lead you to the receive side of the antenna relay on the right of the pic. That's where we bridge across them.

SZdirj.jpg

Next issue is filter caps. The big HV filter caps had already been replaced, so we didn't need to. But there's another factory quirk that requires attention, the bleeder resistors. In this case, you need one on each filter cap, mainly to insure that they divide the voltage equally between them. This is easier than it sounds. They will mount just fine on the lead wires of the caps as you see here. No need to remove this pc board.
Not yet, anyway.

bBSOgn.jpg

So here is a question I get from time to time. What are the resistance values of the parts on this board, providing negative grid bias to the tubes. I scribbled the value in Sharpie (tm) on the unmarked ones. They run hot enough to burn away the markings after the first couple of decades. The smaller 2-Watt used to be 27 ohms, but the 33 ohm you see was as close as I could come. Seems to work just fine. This board is NOT found in any of the 300A schematics circulated on line. The later version with two filter caps is what you'll see posted for download, not this one.

Zy4K3d.jpg

Here is a quirky detail you may decide to skip. The 16 (12) Volt DC power that runs the relays is fed into the screen grids of the two driver tubes. Pins 3 and 11 of each driver socket were originally soldered to ground. Here you see that they have been isolated, a bypass cap added, and a jumper wire joining them between the two driver sockets. The gray wire feeds 16 Volts DC from the wire that powers the relay circuit board. First thing we do is add a 10k 2 Watt resistor to ground from pin 11 of the front driver tube. Really doesn't matter which of the four pins it's connected to. This one is convenient.

rGsaeB.jpg

The gray wire comes from the edge connector socket. We unhook it and insert a 1N4007 rectifier diode. This serves to protect the low-voltage circuits from any surges that might occur inside a driver tube. Trust me, several hundred Volts is not kind to the keying circuit and relays.

N34p4c.jpg

The next item of interest is to remove the ham-band coils in the plate circuit of the driver and final tubes. That, and to add parasitic chokes to the plate connection of each of the four final tubes.

9oVsUf.jpg

If your 300A has only a bare wire between the plate cap of each tube and the plate choke in the center you'll need to add these. The factory slid a couple of black ferrite beads over each plate-cap wire at the factory. But the four final tubes run too hard for those beads. They get hot, crack, fall off and nobody ever knows they were ever there. Remove the top and the bare wires look like they belong there. Not exactly.

You don't need pics to remove the driver coil and all the wires that lead away from it. This coil is wound on a 3/4" form. As you see it, the driver plate tune resonated at around 1/3 mesh.

S3zAty.jpg

Pretty close, but the target is to make the tune capacitor peak as close to one-half mesh as possible. Nothing magic about having the control peak at its midpoint, but there's a strategy here. If the driver tubes get changed, this peak position will most likely change. If we send it home peaking in the middle, this provides leeway in both directions. Might prevent the need to molest the coil later on. Might.

Likewise, if the operator wants to use it above or below the 40 channels, this provides leeway in both directions, peaking at the center on channel 20.

LF6EeW.jpg

The final plate coil gets replaced with fatter wire. Just one problem. The Load control doesn't quite look right.

pBlpPx.jpg

The sharp-eyed reader will see that the plates are spaced exactly the same on the final Load control as the final Plate Tune control. Definitely not right.

sfEPaB.jpg

On a hunch, I paralleled two disc caps on the Load control, to add about 140 pf to it. Was almost enough.

Here's what the factory final Load cap in another 300A looks like. Lots more plates, much closer together. And a lot more capacitance.
tOJ8DP.jpg

Took off the Load knob to change it out, and this explains it all. Missing screws from the switcheroo. Oops.

PA8qVB.jpg

A word about how the 300A is constructed. They used machine screws in two sizes. Short and extremely short. Here is a screw from the final Load control.

rta0Mc.jpg

The screws that attach the control to the front panel need to be short so they won't interfere with the capacitor's rotating parts. Other very-short screws are sunk into very short threaded spacers, holding down circuit boards. A screw that's too long bottoms out before the shoulder of the screw head can touch the board it's meant to to fasten down.

KQKewq.jpg

I'm incredibly fond of Philips head screws. I won't put the original slot-head screws back into the amplifier.

FWoXO4.jpg
FWoXO4.jpg

Here is a tool that has paid for itself so many thousands of times over it's hard to fathom. Shortens a screw down to 1/8 of an inch, or more if you need it. Don't know what we would do without it.

MUTqmq.jpg

For reference, here's the max capacitance of the bogus final Load control.

9V55uo.jpg

Here's the new Load control. Only has two sections, but it has four times the capacitance of the control we found in it.

f2BVzZ.jpg

The sharp-eyed reader will spot the so-called "safety" choke. The small black RF choke from the Load control's hot side to ground. This serves to keep any stray DC voltage across the control's plates at zero. This way, the gap between the plates only has the RF voltage across it. Without this choke some of the power supply's 800 Volts DC gets divided across the plates of the Load control. No joke. Tends to make the air gap break down and arc, with the two voltages DC plus RF across the air gap. I'll guess that the factory load control went bad just this way from arcing over, and someone thought a control with a wider air gap would "fix" the problem. Nice try, no cigar.

To be continued.

Last edited:

(continued)

So, with all these shenanigans, you'd figure we're nearly home. Well, almost. Keyed the mike, *NO* output. At all. None. Nada. Zero. Turns out the explanation is hiding under the high voltage board. No HV for you.

2xGFBU.jpg

Fix is simple.

tgELka.jpg

Works now. For about three keys of the mike. Then nothing. This damaged foil trace was hiding under the red wire.

5mTpDH.jpg

Stitching it back restored full output.

What remains is to elevate the top cover so it won't short to the plate caps of the tubes. The replacements now in the amplifier are taller than the cabinet was designed to use. The fix isn't that tricky, just not pretty.

oCL1t0.jpg

Does leave a visible gap above the front panel. Tough. Into every life a little rain must fall.

Q16rX0.jpg

The tuning adjustments to match the input circuits to 50 ohms bear a mention. Not tricky, just put a SWR meter and coax jumper between the radio and the amplifier. Each one is set for minimum reflected power with the amplifier tuned for max modulated power.

uzCIjy.jpg

Like I said to start, assume nothing. Four-plus decades of years and miles add up. Some of the issues you'll see are predictable, some not so much.

Last edited:
Okay, shameless plug time. Thought about what you have to do to put together the filter caps and resistors for the 'refresh' on this amplifier. Parts that I buy a hundred or more at a time are not so easy to come by onesy-twosy. My idiot light came on after editing this post, and I put together a kit of the eight minimum parts to rehab a 300A. It's on fleabay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/1157430959...d=link&campid=5336136228&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Didn't do anything to promote it, and sold two of them within hours of first posting it.

Go figure.

If you keep a roll of quarter inch wide copper foil tape, an exacto knife, and a syringe of UV mask handy, about $10 total, you will have the means to do some epic trace repair! I'm not saying anything negative about that fine job above, just sharing a neat trick. The nice thing with using foil tape is that it remains a fuse for the next time. You can trim it as narrow as you like and a little dab of mask here and there ensures it never falls off the board. That tape makes great window and wall antennas too :) even use it to seal RF enclosures.

That's fantastic nomad, and I'm a fan. I am fixing to refurb a 300a (low volt) and want to know more about the mods you perform that the factory dropped the ball on, such as the parasitic chokes, I've seen the resistors in a coil before but how do you determine the resistance and inductance when rolling your own?

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Yes keep all these photo blogs coming educational and entertaining. As will life be if someone inadvertently leans on the top of that thing during operation lol.
But in all seriousness this is good stuff. Very educational.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
Thank you Nomad for a nice post

I followed most of your post here and other site to rebuild 3 of my amps

Now to find out about the replacements power supplies

2 out of 3 are blown

Attachments

• My 3 Palomars.jpg
    My 3 Palomars.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 33
how do you determine the resistance and inductance when rolling your own?

By the famous two-step rule.

1) By Gum
2) By Gosh

Four turns of wire on a 47-ohm 2-Watt resistor has worked just fine for us. The bare wire that was left after the factory ferrite bead cracked and fell off will work with some tubes okay as it is. Just one problem. Can't predict which tubes will do this trick. Some tubes will oscillate, especially on modulation peaks with only the bare wire. The chokes you see in the pic above are there so I can be sure it won't get wacky even if the customer changes his tubes.

The resistance is not critical. Had a batch of 68-ohm resistors we got really cheap years ago. They did the job just fine. I have seen values as high as 100 ohms used. Just settled on 47 ohms as the safest gamble.

Not all tubes will oscillate without the parasitic choke. Just no way to predict which ones won't.

the replacements power supplies
Got the parts, a steel box I paid too much for, a toroid transformer for the HV and a separate one for the low voltage. Got some P308 Jones plugs.

Figured out how to put a DPDT switch inside to select either voltage. Would make it a "universal" to work with either amp chassis type. Just don't flip the switch the wrong way on the wrong amplifier.

Hope it all fits. Made too many other promises to fool with it this week, though.

The bleeder resistors on the hv caps, are those 240k 3 watt?

Lastly, there is a component missing on the relay board of mine, per the schematics it appears to be a capacitor (.01uF?) for the rec amp. Do you know if that is correct and why someone might snip it?
IMG_20231127_115926814~2.jpg

IMG_20231127_120826270~2.jpg

The bleeder resistors on the hv caps, are those 240k 3 watt?
We used 220k for years, until Mouser ran out. 240k is a susbtitute. Bought 500 of them at the time. Took a little while to run out of that one. The cap value of .01 just seems totally wrong. Seems to me the value should be somewhere in between 39pf and 500pf. I'll take a peek inside of one and see what it's marked. Pretty sure each of the three series-resonant cap/coil pairs is supposed to line up with each band, maybe? Never paid enough attention to the preamp to care.

I understand, the preamp is of very little value to me, but it's there and I want the switch it's connected to to do something when flipped, like the band selector, as much as I want to remove it with the business end of a crowbar, leaving it just feels wholesome. So, 3 watt for the bleeders?

Looks as if the factory decided that empty holes in the pcb were the optimum component value for the middle coil/cap pair.

W4vqpr.jpg

This is in a white face RF deck with a full-wave doubler HV circuit, AND the fat single-pole HV relay perched on the HV circuit board.

e4FvFu.jpg

I have never worked out a proper timeline for this amplifier, as to black face, white face, HV relay on the pcb, on the chassis, no HV relay at all, relays on the deck, relays on a plug-in board.

Lots of variations from one unit to the next.

As if it were important to know which "features" came first and which came later.

Probably isn't.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.