• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

palomar 300a

dose anyone know how to put 8950 tubes in it.I heard that you can.something about changing the heater voltage to 12v insted of 6v.what els.

I am going to explain how the 12 volts is distributed between the two 6 volt tubes

IF, your Palomar 300A (the one with the separate power supply) is running 6KD6's or 6lf6's then, you will find that the source voltage comes in pin 1 of the tube and goes out of pin 12, pin 1 of the second tube is connected in series with the first tube and pin 12 of the second tube goes to ground.

The filaments of the two 6 volt tubes are wired in series.

To change the filament wiring from 6 volt operation to 12 volt operation for the 8950 tubes, you must do this:

• 1. Locate the 12 volt source (either pin 1 or 12) on the first tube.

2. Seperate the series filament connection between the tubes and ground the other filament connection for first tube.

3. Wire pins 1 and 12 of the second tube in parallel with the pins of the first tube.

4. Both tubes should now have 12 volts on one side of the filament and the other side should be grounded.
I offered these instruction without the pre-warning of what to do and what not to do because I assume that if you asked the question, you are technically capable of understanding and making these changes.

Don't get knocked on your ass!

I am going to explain how the 12 volts is distributed between the two 6 volt tubes

IF, your Palomar 300A (the one with the separate power supply) is running 6KD6's or 6lf6's then, you will find that the source voltage comes in pin 1 of the tube and goes out of pin 12, pin 1 of the second tube is connected in series with the first tube and pin 12 of the second tube goes to ground.

The filaments of the two 6 volt tubes are wired in series.

To change the filament wiring from 6 volt operation to 12 volt operation for the 8950 tubes, you must do this:

• 1. Locate the 12 volt source (either pin 1 or 12) on the first tube.

2. Seperate the series filament connection between the tubes and ground the other filament connection for first tube.

3. Wire pins 1 and 12 of the second tube in parallel with the pins of the first tube.

4. Both tubes should now have 12 volts on one side of the filament and the other side should be grounded.
I offered these instruction without the pre-warning of what to do and what not to do because I assume that if you asked the question, you are technically capable of understanding and making these changes.

Don't get knocked on your ass!

Sounds like I need to do the opposite on my amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.