• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 321

pictures:

2011-09-15_16-02-32_353.jpg

2011-09-15_16-06-42_716.jpg

some of the tubes inside have shiny mercury colored on top of the tube is that mean there getting bad?

The fan is missing,
there should be a fan blowing air across the 3 final tubes mounted just in front of the transformer.
The silver stuff inside a vacuum tube is called the "Getter".
Most often made from barium, the material is known for its ability to absorb oxygen that might be left in the tube after it is vacuumed out and sealed.
As long as it stay`s shinny silver it is fine, if you ever see a tube that the Getter looks white/flaky/powdery inside it means the tube has lost it seal, and it has become useless.

Jeff

You do need to put a fan on those tubes, they get mighty warm on long winded QSO's.

As Mack said bring the drive down and have that amp put out around 200 to 300 watts PEP and those tubes will last a long time.

6lbs are still around but they will dry up soon. I bought a box full of them so I can have some spares for the home brew two tuber and the Maco 200.
Not to mention replacing the 8950 in the siltronix and swans with the 6lb6's.

That 321 is a sweet little amp and will provide good service if not abused.

Take a look at the filter caps, they may need replacing if the originals are still in it.

Thanks for the replys. Yes I have extra tubes two of them are clear no shiny mercury or whatever. I'd like to put an original fan / blower that fits inside. Also where is the filters ...? This my first tube amp and I like it more than my ts500 :) it would be nice to get a swani tube box but there h2cb. I guess I could sell the four other tubes for what $100.00?.....or so. None of the tubes are dried / flakey inside.
The meter is a yaesu meter way nicer than the shit tiny one that these amps came with. It also has a variable pot for the meter.

Sent from Droid X .602GB Root.

By filters I meant filter capacitor's. They are in the High voltage power supply circuit of the amp. Probably old and dried up. Maybe 40 mf at 450 volts, upgrade to 100mf at 450 volts for better regulation especially in a doubler circuit.

*CAUTION*

There are lethal voltages in this amplifier. Since it is older amp it is possible that some circuits may have been modified. If you do not have the experience working on HV circuits and do not know what to look for then please take this amp to a technician to get the HV PS updated.

Reactions: 1 person
By filters I meant filter capacitor's. They are in the High voltage power supply circuit of the amp. Probably old and dried up. Maybe 40 mf at 450 volts, upgrade to 100mf at 450 volts for better regulation especially in a doubler circuit.

*CAUTION*

There are lethal voltages in this amplifier. Since it is older amp it is possible that some circuits may have been modified. If you do not have the experience working on HV circuits and do not know what to look for then please take this amp to a technician to get the HV PS updated.

no doubt.

let me see if i got this right. i turn on the box on stby let it warm up two min or so, flip to transmit and give a good pshhhh and adjust tune for max then adjust plate to max then adjust drive to max than use plate back down a hair line and enjoy..... i got this right?

also, two of my extra tubes have no gitter on top completely clear

Last edited:
No silver circles anywhere inside the tube? Some even have it towards the bottom or on the sides.

Jeff

i learned u can also take a cap charge it and hit the bottom of the tube and it shakes all the flake junk on the inside of the tube, viola new tubes again

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.