• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 450 FET

So how did it work? I guess you weren't blown away if you played with it for an hour and are selling it? :)

PM replied

Hey Tony!!!

I used it for about an hour to help a friend come up with a better bias tune setup. Basically I tested it stock, ran some quick figures and tried some diff. value caps. With the new values, we achieved the same output numbers but with less drive. However, the gain was too high for these switching devices and the amp was IMO unstable and prone to VHF oscillations. So I replaced the caps and put the stock units back in. I talked on the amp for an hour or so to make sure all was fine and it has sat here for a year unused. So its time to sell.

Off my memory, 20 watts peak gave 200 or so
40 watts peak gave 280 and 50 watts gave 325 or so.
I was told by Palomar I could run it harder up to 100, But I didnt see the need as I was already pushing the specs of the transistor.

It is a fairly clean amplifier for Am. I wouldnt use it for ssb given the switching nature of the transistor used. I suspect it would heat up quickly

Would I be able to drive this with a Northstar 3000? Pretty loud radio but I am comepletely inexperienced with amps.

With that radio this amp would cruise and you could never hurt it. You could even put an RFX75 on your radio and as long as it is setup correctly, drive this amp pretty good to its full potential.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.