• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar Elite 900 Chattering on SSB

i cant tune the rf power down any lower than 5 or 6 watts am in the radio unless i turn my rf power knob down along with it , wich is fine its just a pain in the ass everytime i want to switch to ssb ,, because if i leave the rf power down from am and swich to ssb the amp wont turn on unless it swings from higher ,, can i run this at the 15 - 20 swing on ssb.. i do have a 3.5 inch fan mountted on it as well and seems to run cool. dims the hell out of my truck.. when i speak lol

that amp is working exactly like it is suppose to, you have no carrier to hold the relay closed and it is meant to drop out on SSB so you don't fry the amp.

most likely if it doesn't have a switch on the front for sideband, it most likely doesn't have a delay built into it to hold the relay in the absence of carrier on ssb. Any decent shop can add a delay and put it on a switch for very little cost. It just takes a cap to ground off of the relay, and add a switch in line to break the circuit when on am, and your in business.
mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.