• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar HD 450 Is It Enough Power To Screw With Cars PCM

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
I had to take my car into the shop I have the check engine light on shop said is a weird code with the pcm they said they could not clear the code so the pcm will have to be replaced. I am just wondering if a Palomar HD 450 is enough power to screw with a 2002 Dodge Caravan PCM?

Not that I would think unless you hooked something up wrong. If this shop claims the code can't be erased he has a poor scanner as any code can be removed but may come back on when the vehicle is restarted. Upon starting of vehicle the pcm/ecm runs many tests and if any test doesn't check out it trips the check engine light. I would check another shop and although I hate the place most autozones will scan for free and give you a printout of the problem. When you had it scanned did they give you any codes or diagnostic information as far as what they found other than to say it's a bad pcm? Usually when a pcm goes bad it causes other problems such as poor acceleration or rough idle. I'm a mechanic and when we do scans we are required to give a full printout of codes and findings along with any repairs and reciept. I use a Matco determinator with current downloads installed. If you ran from battery to amp with power wires I can't think of any way you could have hurt the vehicle unless you shorted the wires out. I wish you lived close to me as I would scan it for free for you with you there to see results of findings. A junkyard pcm will have to be flashed to work in your van again so it's a poor option unless you know someone and I don't have the ability to flash. I would get a second or even third opinion from other shops.

Reactions: 1 person
Have a friend that has ran a TS-400 in a Dodge Caravan for years w/o any problems.
If it was caused by the amp in your case; then it means there wasn't enough shielding around the PCM.

I agree with both you fellers. I have ran everything from stock radio to a full kw in my 01 Ford f-150 for years & no problems with runabilty (pcm/ecm) now charging that's another thing.
Sounds like just maybe this shop don't know enough about po codes & definitions of them or just trying to take you for a ride that will go deep in your pocket.

A junkyard pcm will have to be flashed to work in your van again so it's a poor option

BammBamm I have to disagree with you on a junkyard ECM/PCM.... If you get one with the right numbers and or codes they will plug and play and no reflash is neccesary, I buy and rebuild wrecked cars all the time. just sold a 03 Malibu with a Buick Century ECM in it plugged and played.. Currantly driving a 94 ranger with a ECm I got from a wreck in Oh. Plug and play.... Just have to have correct numbers, sometimes just the last 3 or 4 will do depends on the maker at time...

Now back to DJboutit problem, I agree with BammBamm take it to couple different places and have rescanned. Most major autoparts stores have scanners and will do it for FREE O'reilly/Autozone/Napa...
Most shops do charge a fee normaly $125 or so +/- some will refund that charge if work is performed at there place, Mechanics HAVE to buy that tool they are not FREE to them a decent one runs about $4500 + upgrades every year. That is why they charge for that service.... If you do decide to go the used route look @ Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market get the numbers off yours and match up...

I also do not believe it was the amps fault unless you had a bad ground issue and there was some sort of RF feedback

So I learned something new today wiskey. Thanks and I will have to keep that in mind for future use. My old bonneville had to have a ecm and after getting it from the local junkyard it kept locking my doors when the key was in ignition. I took it and had it flashed and was told that it was due to factory theft deterrent that was not a added purchase on mine when new? I'm not good with theft deterrent but it seemed logical and I never had the problem again. I have been lead to believe the pcm/ecm always had to be flashed to work correctly. Thanks for this info now I will have to prove my boss wrong.(y)

So I learned something new today wiskey. Thanks and I will have to keep that in mind for future use. My old bonneville had to have a ecm and after getting it from the local junkyard it kept locking my doors when the key was in ignition. I took it and had it flashed and was told that it was due to factory theft deterrent that was not a added purchase on mine when new? I'm not good with theft deterrent but it seemed logical and I never had the problem again. I have been lead to believe the pcm/ecm always had to be flashed to work correctly. Thanks for this info now I will have to prove my boss wrong.(y)

I take it the theft deterrent has set with the theft light blinking and the motor that will not start? If this is the case, you will have to let the BCM relearn the key by letting it sit in the ignition on for around ten minutes while it "learns". Or you could obtain the dealership's scanner and do the same in about 5 minutes. Either way it takes time. That is for the ignition theft, to reset the horn/light deterrent just simply use the unlock function of the remote transmitters. This triggers the BCM that it is not a theft and to shut off the alarm. Good luck.
Source(s):

^^^^^^^ there is good reading all over the net... That normally worst case when replacing with used BCM/PCM/ECM or new Ignition cylinder

turn key on try to quick start(bump) NOT CRANK leave key on for 10 minute turn off and then start car.....for GM cars with theft deterent

it could be the vehicle is getting to much winddrag from the antennas and the vehicle is telling you its being dragged thru the swamp

Reactions: 2 people
How many years now has that Palomar been lurking under that Cobra 2000 now sitting in your front seat? And you think now it is what caused the engine light to come on?

Ever think maybe it's time for a tune-up? :LOL:

If the Amp was the culprit, that light would have come on back when you first stuck that junk in the front seat...:whistle:

I had to take my car into the shop I have the check engine light on shop said is a weird code with the pcm they said they could not clear the code so the pcm will have to be replaced. I am just wondering if a Palomar HD 450 is enough power to screw with a 2002 Dodge Caravan PCM?

How could a "Top of the Line" clean Palomar amp cause problems like that? :laugh: A 10 year old 2002 Dodge Caravan is on borrowed time already.

FWIW

Some after market accessories have can screw with a Dodge. I bought a cel phone charger, plugged it into the auxiliary power source on the 2005 Dodge Dakota and all the idiot lights came on, on the dash and the truck ran funny. Turned the truck off, unplugged the charger and restarted it and it ran fine again.
In my 99 Dodge Ram, the set belt light would come on when I would turn the CB on from time to time. Didn't think much of it at first (bought the truck used in 2006) until I turned the radio on one morning and saw the light come on. Turned it off and about 2 seconds later the seat belt light went off. I rewired the radio's power connection since then and the seat belt light rarely comes on now. :)

Now if I can get rid of the other gremlins in the truck it would be like new. A couple of shops in town say they see more Ford and Chevy vehicles than they do Dodge. :D

I ran a two pill with a Uniden Grant in my old '94 Dakota. Used to make the windshield wipers come on when I keyed it. :blink:

Absolutely no issues running a TS500 in the '07 Ford F150 though. :)

Hopefully your new PCM will be happy and stay happy.

RT307

well duh if you stood between 2 antennas you think your hair might want to stand up
just saying your van is between both of them antennas so its feeding rf right back onto the van
get the antennas up higher
if you just mounted 1 of those antenas on top towards the rear
i bet alot of things would change
but i would start looking for another vehicle

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.