• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar Magnum 6000 Original Gray Face

Ranch55

Jan 18, 2016
Fredericksburg, Texas
Palomar Magnum 6000 Original Gray Face.......
I need schematic for this amplifier.
Some one has removed the RF sensing keying circuit .....
I could also use some detailed photos showing location of keying circuit components.

Well, I finally did get this amplifier operating satisfactorily. It came to me operating with only 75 watts output.
All 4 of the Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors were good and still had a high gain value.
I redesigned the input circuitry extensively, and the output circuitry somewhat.
I kept the regulated bias circuitry intact, as it works very well.
Input and output tuning turned out very well also.
Using my 4 watt low drive radio, with 20~23 watts PEP, amplifier output peaks at over 430 watts.
I am satisfied with the performance and will be shipping it back to the owner by the end of this week.

Palomar Magnum 6000 Original Gray Face.......
I need schematic for this amplifier.
Some one has removed the RF sensing keying circuit .....
I could also use some detailed photos showing location of keying circuit components.

Hopefully better late than never.

Attachments

• magnum6000.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Some pics. The RF sensing circuit is in the bottom left hand corner. I installed a keying line by simply running a wire from the emitter of the keying transistor to an external 3.5mm jack ( you can see it on the back of the amp). When grounded (common ground) , it will key the amp. I prefer this over using the RF sniffer so no relay chatter on SSB and no RX delay after unkeying. Also added a fan.
Magnum6000front.jpg Magnum6000inside.jpg Magnum6000rear.jpg

Reactions: Smiley429
It came to me operating with only 75 watts output.

The amp can be set for 3 levels of input power - Low, Medium, and High. It has internal low and high drive jumpers.

Low drive = Low drive jumper C, High drive jumper NC
Medium drive = Low drive jumper NC, High drive jumper NC
High Drive = Low drive jumper NC, High drive jumper C

Maybe it was set for high drive?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.